Unable to extract Xcode 12 beta

I have over 86GB free space but I am getting the error "The Archive "Xcode12_beta.xip" cannot be expanded because the selected volume doesn't have enough free space."

I have already tried emptying trash and rebooting my system. Any suggestions?
  • Xcode 12 can no longer be installed in monterrey (in theory), despite the error it was extracted in ~Home, move to applications, despite the restriction enter content like this: right click and show package content like this Xcode.app-> Contents->MacOS->Xcode open it or drag it to the terminal and run it. The terminal will open anyway.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

As a workaround, I ended up just moving the xip to a large external HDD, extracting it there, then copying the Xcode12-beta.app back over to my main volume. I had 14GB of 'purgeable' space showing in Disk Utility fwiw.
  • Yes that worked thank you

Add a Comment

Replies

Check your volume with Utilities > Disk Utility. It's possible that some of the available space on your volume is 'purgeable' space but hasn't been purged yet. Also, if you use Time Machine, try (temporarily) turning off Back Up Automatically in Time Machine Preferences in case Time Machine is hanging on to some of the purgeable space.
As a workaround, I ended up just moving the xip to a large external HDD, extracting it there, then copying the Xcode12-beta.app back over to my main volume. I had 14GB of 'purgeable' space showing in Disk Utility fwiw.
  • Yes that worked thank you

Add a Comment
I had the same issue, but was able to expand it by using xip --expand Downloads/Xcode_12_beta.xip from the command line.
hey , i have the same issue , i have downloaded xCode from Apple Developer yesterday, and I expanded it on external hard cause I don’t have enough space for it in my mac , but it still expanding from 7 hours ago and it took about 60 GB and still expanding and taking space !! how much space that xCode need to expand ? i mean should I waiting or what ? please someone help me
You could try this:

Open your terminal and type:
Code Block
dd if=/dev/zero of=/Users/<your user name>/hugefile bs=100m

Let it work until it fills your ssd/hard drive and then:
Code Block
rm ~/hugefile

Then navigate to the folder you've downloaded Xcode and:
Code Block
xip -x Xcode_12.4.xip

The first 2 steps above create a hugefile and while removing it it restores the "purgable" space.

The third step expands the xip.
I just have same issue.

I search and tried a lot method ex. using terminal etc.

but now I trying to SHUT DOWN and open it again IT WORKED !! hmmm lollll
Add a Comment
it just asks for double the space it will acquire i.e around 16GB, I make it available 33GB and it is expanding now. Good luck
I tried the terminal:

chdir the the drive with the xip file.

The external drive with the xip has 279GB free space

Entered; xip --expand XCode-12.5

The expand failed for lack of space.

I changed the startup drive to one that has more free space than my usual startup drive.

Entered; xip --expand XCode-12.5

It worked!

Evidently xip needs space on both the drive with the xip file and the startup drive.

• I am trying to expand the Xip of the Xcode in the External disk, but it failed to unxip the file. And showing the error as space isue.

How can i unxip or expand it in the external disks

Add a Comment