Mac OS Big Sur Update issue

Hi!

I updated Mac OS Big Sur, unfortunately it is locked on boot screen for nearly an hour.

I have rebooted in safe mode, and it seems to continue the update.
I installed to an external drive and starup after install was about 2 hours, but all looks fine. Looks like a ton of file optimization going on.
I've been stuck on the "Black background, white apple logo & progress bar" now for about 3 hours with no discernible progress bar movement.
Mine has been stuck for over 2 hours now. What can I do?
Same issue
I managed to install on a thumb drive, but I'm not able to boot. I just get a gray screen with an arrow cursor. I even let it sit overnight with no change. I saw in the release notes about problems installing on an external volume. Can anyone elaborate on this?
After about 10 hours staring at the motionless progress bar, I bit the bullet and performed a hard reset by holding doen the power button. The Mac then booted and completed installation successfully.
I've been stuck on the "Black background, white apple logo & progress bar" now for about 4 hours with no discernible progress bar movement.
Any idea? Just wait???
Tried hard reset also but that didn’t work either, gonna try reinstall it once again but now with a clean hard drive, looking at that Apple sign for 14 hours isn’t fun

I just wonder how Apple can release a beta when there is a problem installing it?
I was installing Big Sur on an old iMac 27 retina (2014 late), and I experienced the same problem — white logo on black screen for hours and the progress bar stays at about 90%. 

Restarted into safe mode, the Big Sur screen appeared and got me logged in. Yet, the system runs in a slow and buggy way and blacked out to reboot. 

By resetting the NVRAM, the progress bar run to the full end, but halted at 100% forever. Even worse, rebooted into Safe mode, but not able to login in since it's not responding.
I think that we all posted these questions in the hope of following along during WWDC. It's too late for that, but is there hope that someone will come back and give us answers to the questions?

Same here this seems to be a pattern... The progress bar frozen crowd.. are you guys on 16 inch 2019's by chance?

I have the same problem but got there in a odd way - I was offered an update to Catalina but when I installed that update it installed Big Sur, not Catalina. Now I am experiencing the Big Sur frozen screen.
Reset NVRAM ( hold opt + cmd + P + R) on startup, that did the trick for me.
[https://support.apple.com/pt-pt/HT204063]
Thank you to jssilva14. This solution worked for me. I was stuck with a loading Apple screen for 3+ hours. I manually powered down (holding power button), then did as jssilva14 instructed below:

Reset NVRAM ( hold opt + cmd + P + R) on startup, that did the trick for me.
This morning I was given the Big Sur upgrade notification. I was a little worried but after a TimeMachine Backup gave it a try. Install took a bit longer than mentioned on the screen. Machine rebooted and gave the Apple logo with progress bar. After that it rebooted again and now it looks stuck at about 30% progress with mouse pointer.
It is like this for about an hour now on my 13" Macbook Air 1.6GHz (2017?)
Should I wait a bit longer or go for the reset? I'm coming from Catalina.

John
Thanks to jssilva and K-Berg on this thread!
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649956
Trying to help signal boost, as this fix should be easier to find!

My update from Catalina was stuck, on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) for many many hours.

I am not a developer, but had this problem, while installing the BIG SUR public release. It got stuck for hours and hours at about 90-95 percent. I even let my iMac sit overnight, no movement from the black screen with apple logo.

But then I did as they suggested below, power off, then back on while holding buttons to reset NVRAM.and now everything is working great! Thanks again.

I knew I shouldn't update the OS. Now I can't even start my iMac. It shows the apple logo and powers down again. It's a real shame for Apple to launch this buggy update. I tried holding down opt+command+p+r and it doesn't work. It's a real scandal that we have to go through this suffering every time we update the OS.
The only way out of this for me was to login into Recovery MacOS (by keeping cmd+r pressed during reboot), then format the Macintosh HD (inside Disco Utility) and finally re-install Big Sur (again from Recovery MacOS). The main drawback is that all my apps (either purchased or downloaded for free) were erased by Hard-Disk formatting.
I experienced the same issue, stuck at 95% on Big Sur update. I cleared the NVRAM and worked for me!
I have a MacBook Air and I’ve waited for the update to download for an hour but it didn’t finish so I tried doing the NVRAM reset and now it would log in and show the progress bar at 40% then restart itself. It would constantly restart itself, I’ve tried the MacOS recovery too but that didnt work. I don’t know what to do now
Same issue here, it was frozen at 95% for about an hour and half then I did the trick of clearing the NVRAM and now it is frozen at about 40%, no clue what is happening
selling the mac and buying a new laptop with windows did the trick for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also bit the bullet and force restarted after letting my laptop sit with a black screen overnight. I could still hear some process working, but after reading on this forum that someone had some luck with restarting I went ahead and did it. I did a regular restart without resetting anything through extra key commands. I got a progress bar with an apple after restarting, then another progress bar and apple. Then another progress bar and apple. I force shutdown again, then used the opt + cmd + p + r keys during startup. That did the trick.

I know this is old, but I just had the same issue with an old 2014 Mac that I was updating this week. (I wanted to update due to recent security fix, even if it means losing old Microsoft office.) After installing the update, my computer would not boot and was stuck at 25/30% on black screen. I waited hours and then tried to reinstall BigSur overnight with no luck. Then, I decided to try the disc utility (and back everything up before I did since before the update I didn’t think it would have trouble!!). It did need some minor repairs. I then reinstalled Big Sur, hoping that would work, but it was still stuck. I also did opt + cmd + p + r, but still nothing. Finally, I restarted it into safe mode (shift on start), which made the progress bar go farther, and now finally it is unstuck. Hallelujah! Though now it is making me recreate my account totally and was going through setup part very slowly too. My computer was working fine before- it was slow but at least worked well enough for browsing. I’m just glad I didn’t lose my machine or files (at least as of now) in this process. It is finally back to the normal desktop screen, but I haven’t restarted it yet.

Mac OS Big Sur Update issue

Q