Unix Underpinnings

Does macOS Big Sur still have the Unix underpinnings of macOS X? I'm talking about the Terminal's ability to run different Unix shells, Unix commands, Node, Git, etc. Or has this been left behind in the shift away from Intel.

Replies

I believe this is covered in the state-of-the-union talk and if i remember right, the unix underpinnings are still there.
Nothing has changed here. The Mac is still a Mac. You can still run different shells in Terminal. You can still use the Unix tools you know and love.
Yes.
The Mac is still the Mac, you're free to change your shell, run git, call pthread_create, use ed and develop to the POSIX standards to your heart's content. The WWDC 2020 State of the Union is a good watch if you haven't seen it already.
Scripting subsystems like Perl, Python, etc. will be removed system-wide, as it was stated by Apple on this page:

Scripting language runtimes such as Python, Ruby, and Perl are included in macOS for compatibility with legacy software. Future versions of macOS won’t include scripting language runtimes by default, and might require you to install additional packages. If your software depends on scripting languages, it’s recommended that you bundle the runtime within the app.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of y4r Down vote reply of y4r
Even python 2.7 is still there!