Notes App Self Scrolls

I just filed a bug report for the Notes app as follows:

Area: Notes

Summary: When opening Notes with content that is larger than the open Notes App window, and attempting to edit the note, the entire note content scrolls automatically to the top although the cursor remains where text editing was inserted. Typing on the Smart Keyboard will allow text entry however the note insistently keeps scrolling to the top regardless of how often or how much text is entered into the note. Scrolling the note manually with your touch will stop the action from occurring, however that is intermittent and sometimes will scroll automatically as well. This issue will occur on both iPad and iPhone and regardless of the app is used full screen on the iPad or in Split Screen. When the Notes window is not focused and the user is engaging an app in the other split screen window, the Note window does not scroll, only when it is the focused App.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Notes

2. Begin to edit the note by scrolling down and selecting text or placing your cursor to enter text.

3. More likely to happen with a note which has enough text to enable scrolling of the note.

Expected Results: The note body of text should not scroll while editing or entering text and should remain where placed either by scrolling to the place of entry with using touch or with moving the cursor with the direction keys of the Smart Keyboard.

Actual Results: The note scrolls on its own without intervention.

Version: IOS Beta 10.0(14A5261v)

Configuration: iPad Pro 12.9" and iPhone 6S both with iOS beta 10.0

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of AbblePC Down vote post of AbblePC
18k views
  • Similar thing happens in Big Sur 11.1 when typing in notes and using the backspace button.

• Is there an alternative app to Apple Notes? I give up…

Add a Comment

Replies

How can this still be happening!? I am here August 16th, 2022, seeing that this problem has existed for almost 7 years now. Multiple complaints have been filed and yet it hasn’t even been addressed. Why is that?

I figured there would be a fix by now. I have the most current update, iPad Pro 2021, using my apple pen, and as I'm writing on the iPad screen scrolls to the top. I guess it's time to change note apps, I was excited about the new updates it had with iOS 16, but this issue makes me want to grab my iPad and throw it against the wall. September 26, 2022.

October 2022. I fixed it. After years and years of this most annoying problem I fixed it. You must, with all of your force, launch your device into the nearest solid structure. Sheet rock will not suffice as the device will make a perfectly device shaped hole. Try concrete or metal door.

This BUG still exists!!! Can you please fix this Apple?

Seriously come on what is going on ovwr rhere that you have a notes app so buggy.

Botes could be awesome but this but is highly ANNOYING.

surely this can be fixed????

6 years and millions of people complaining and no fix WHY??

FIX THIS FFS ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL APPLE!

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

When i edit notes on iphone 11 ios 16.1.1 why my notes scrolling randomly to top by itself?

I just bought a brand new iPad Pro 11 inch an updated it to iOS 16.1.1, the latest iOS. I have noticed the problem occasionally in the past, but it is now worse than ever. I also use notes extensively and have many long notes. Yesterday I noticed that every time I try to edit text on a long note, it jumps to the top of the note automatically. It is infuriating. It appears to have been a problem for more than five years. Why cannot Apple fix this.? They are marketing products for productivity and this is a huge productivity hit.

Re: cursor problem in notes app. I just filed a bug report today (11/17/22) because this is still happening - on notes in ios 16.1.1 on an Ipad pro - when pressing lightly with finger or stylus the page in a long note responds by jumping to the top of the note. What should happen is a cursor should appear where your finger is placed and the keyboard should appear also.
this happens regardless of whether rje notes are “online” (icloud) or “offline” (on device only” and occurs with both a finger or a stylus. To file a report on this bug use this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad/

November 2022 and this scrolling issue in notes still exists …

December 2022, bug still persists. Looking forward to starting the new year with this unresolved issue. It's been around for so many years, at this point it is more likely that a pigeon will be the next elected president than Apple fixing this omnipresent bug.

Still have hopes? Report it as well using this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/notes

• Since the latest 16.2 iOS update I haven’t noticed this phenomenon anymore. Did this really get fixed? I am taking back the fact regarding the pigeon president, Apple decided to spare us all.

Add a Comment

Yes, This bug has been omnipresent for years on multiple operating systems. I have also filed a bug report about the erratic self-scrolling behavior with Apple. Now for a second time in the last 2 years.

Upon bug report submission a message appears that says there is a “Notes Team”, and yet they are somehow still unable to fix this. Being able to edit a note without erratic self-scrolling of the page would seem like an impossible item for this “Notes Team” to miss for so many years. Makes one wonder if anyone on the team actually uses the app? It cannot be something impossible to fix can it? Anyone with any power at Apple trying to use their own Notes app? Do they all write perfect one paragraph notes that never need editing or additional information?

They have added endless features of incorporating links, photos, drawing, etc etc but seem to be oblivious to one of the most basic functions of what makes a digital notes app superior to a physical notebook with a pen. The ability to easily edit and make updates.

Contact the Notes Team here. Perhaps with an overwhelming amount of feedback about this someone at Apple who cares about their user experience will get this fixed.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/notes/

driving me mad as well, December 2022. it’s been persistent for as long as i can remember and i wish there was a way to yell at Apple about it :(

Is there an alternative to using Apple Notes? I give up.

March 12, 2023 and still no solution from Apple. It’s very frustrating when you’re typing in notes and it suddenly jump to the top. Apple, when you’re done counting your money, can you fix this small problem? Thank you.