Why?

True the old forum software has problems but this new one is a nightmare.

Replies

Note the disclaimer at the top of the dev center that says a paid program is required for parts of the forums...

--------------

Discuss a variety of development topics, from getting started to working with the latest pre-release software.*

*Apple Developer Program membership is required to access certain features of the developer forums, for details read our support page.

-------------

...so while individuals can participate in most forums w/o a paid account, it seems not all.

◅▻

I'm also having issues with the new forum. Sometimes I'll be unable to log in. Instead, I get taken to a page that says my Apple ID password has expired and I need to reset it. 😕

Same here about the pw expiring. I have to go to itunes connect to login and then comeback to workaround it.

In the old forums, if I clicked on my profile I could see all the threads I posted in. Is there a list like that here?

If you click on "Content" near the upper right, one of the categories is Participated. That interface seems to be the most usable at the moment, though Following doesn't appear to work yet. But at least that interface is paginated and doesn't reset back to page 1 when you hit the Back button...

Both the forums and the dev web site in general seem a step backwards. Almost every action required many more mouse clicks and screens to get to.

Excessive white space, the ever present "your password has expired", the giant picture of WWDC blue shirt, etc.

How is this that techies are mostly not satisfied by changes in the software forced on them?

Including myself.

But what is the use of such threads?

Please be productive, tell Apple what to change to be better.

Absolutely! The contrast between the fonts and the background is terrible. Totally unreadable. The white background is blinding, and the thin fonts are impossible to discern. Who came up with this junk?

The word **** gets bowdlerized. A legitimate word, too. "Battery life is sucked down."

I guess the use of such threads is to see if anyone else is thinking the same thing so

1. You know you are not crazy.

2. Perhaps people at Apple visit the dev forums from time to time (they do).

But yeah...I might file a formal bug report. I'm not getting email notifications when people reply in threads I posted. I think the old forums would have been perfect if they just made the site responsive.

I'm typing in bold. Please note that I am not mad. I am not screaming. I just can't read the regular font.

Please everyone type in bold so we can read the posts. 🙂

Lars:

>Did they even strip your nice record? At least you are already on Level 2 ;-)

Yep...oh well. Easy come/go.

I walked away from the public forums when they changed last time. Jury is still out here - tho...the look/feel continues to be irritating.

Hope you're having a nice summer.

Ken

Apple needs to realize that this forum is very much a part of what we are paying for.

A very simple CSS change to make this forum easily readable would be a good start.

Hi, Ken, Irritating? I need to search for my name in order to find my own posts (!) I have been answering to. This used to be a work tool for me, but this re-designed forum turned useless for me. I am really frustrated about that and just hope that this kind of development will not sneak into hardware design once Sir Jony might reduce his work for Apple sometime in the future. I will still buy you a beer if you should happen to come over to Berlin, Germany, one day. My treat. Kind regards, Lars