com.apple.configuration.managed - in extensions?

If an app is deployed as a Managed App and the MDM has pushed out an app configuration, the app can query NSUserDefaults.standardUserDefaults for the key "com.apple.configuration.managed" and get the app config.

But if the app has extensions, which have their own user defaults, is this MDM app config available for those extensions?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of beetleguice Down vote post of beetleguice
4.2k views

Replies

I have exactly the same need. When a managed app config is pushed to the device for the extension bundle ID, an error is written to the console indicating the bundle ID is not managed and the config is not available in the extension. I can push to the containing app packaged with the extension with no problem.

@crwallace, @beetlejuice

Were either of you able to get this work?

@crwallace,

In the case of actually being able to push it to the device for the extension bundle ID, what MDM were you using where you were able to configure the push in such a way? It seems like this would also be limited per MDM provider, ie: mostly you're not actually setting the bundle ID that the managed app config is pushed to, you're just building a managed app config for an associated app within the MDM's portal and they are grabbing the bundle ID from the app.

Same issue here.

My initial idea was to copy the UserDefaults.standard "com.apple.dnsProxy.managed" value to the App groups shared UserDefaults but I can't assume the main app is ever executed, so how can I have access to the "com.apple.dnsProxy.managed" dictionary in UserDefaults from the network extension?

Has someone solved the problem?

<deleted post>
Has anyone solved this? I would like to read dictionary for "com.apple.configuration.managed" from a custom keyboard.