Simulate and send keyboard events inside the Mac OS X Sandbox

Hello, everyone.

My name is Matt, I'm the developer of Eternal Storms Software.

I recently released a freeware app: SiriMote, outside of the Mac App Store.

The reason I could not release it on the Mac App Store is that it uses CGEventPost to simulate keypresses (for example, when the play/pause button is pressed on the Siri Remote, the Play/Pause media key (on the F8 key) of the Mac's keyboard is pressed), and CGEventPost is ignored inside the sandbox.

So I was wondering - is there a way to do this inside the sandbox?

I guess an alternative would be using the Scripting Bridge, but then I would have to specifically communicate with particular apps. The nice thing about CGEventPost is that any app that responds to the media keys can be used with SiriMote.

I'd love a more open approach, like CGEventPost.

Any hints appreciated!

Thank you kindly,

Matt

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of m.gansrigler Down vote post of m.gansrigler
5.6k views

Apple Recommended

Replies

So I was wondering - is there a way to do this inside the sandbox?

No.

Normally I’d recommend that you file an enhancement request for the features you want, although in this case you have to be a little careful. There’s no point filing an enhancement request for access to

CGEventPost
because such access would allow your app to defeat the sandbox entirely. Thus your enhancement request should be focused on your high-level goal, simulating the media keys, which seems like a reasonable thing to do from within the sandbox.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

DTS will close for the winter holidays at the end of business on Wed, 23 Dec 2015 and re-open on Mon, 4 Jan 2016.

Add a Comment

filed an enhancement request:

rdar://24278614

thank you.

Infact, you can call AppleScript in sandbox. tell key code/key down/key up/keystroke to "System Events" to simulate normal keys, and tell iTunes some other commands to simulate F7 to F9.

But bug exist at tell "System Events": key up cannot lift key which user is pressing. Thus, modifier may cannot be what you want, if making key-remapping tool.

No there is. AppleScript can achive this.

AppleScript can achive this.

Right. But the App Sandbox does not let you execute arbitrary AppleScripts. You can execute AppleScripts via the

NSUserScriptTask
mechanism, but my understanding is that App Review expects apps to use that as a general user-configurable option, not simply as a way to bypass sandbox restrictions.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Matt,

Did you get a response to your enhancement request? I don't have access to it.
I have a similar requirement, only I need to post key events for arrow keys instead of media keys.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi

I know its an old thread, but I'm trying to find an answer and this seems like a good place.

There is an app on Mac App Store, a new app, that simulates user input, and it seems it's doing it while being sandboxed. Is there some new APIs that were introduced, or something changers re sandboxing rules that's it allowed now?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/remmo-remote-mouse-keyboard/id1598906173

I'm have a similar app and I have to distribute it like Matt outside of the store, and I wonder if there was a change that can allow me in.

Best regards