XCode 7.1 Slow to Install on MacBook

Computer: 12" MacBook 1.3 GHz (512 GB SSD).

Tick Tock:

1825 Turned ok Macbook for first time.

1830 Installed Pages, Numbers, Keynote, OSX El Capitan Update. Setup FileVault for Full Disk Encrpytion.

1900 Went to meeting, used Notes.

2000 Came back from meeting.

2100 Installed Sublime Text 3, Homebrew (XCode Command Line Tools).

2200 Installed dot files, but did not compleate (took forever, ironic).

2300 Watched end of Mets game.

0000 Battery at 30% plugged into wall charger to recharge.

0006 Started Download of XCode 7.1 from App Store.

0010 Download Complete

0200 Started Writing this.

0210 Still not installed.

Now I understand that these CPUs are terminally limited, and that they will underclock under heavy sustained load. That effect seems to be compounded with charging the device while using it's CPU intensivly. But over 2 hours to extract and install XCode 7.1 is insane. Progress is being made on the install, the bar moves slowly, very slowly towards the right of the screen. But it's still pretty crazy that it's taking this long.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dygear Down vote post of Dygear
60k views
  • Xcode is an absolute dog to install, it's heavy and slow regardless, but i had this exact same issue on a VirtualBox, i left it for about 4 hours and it made near zero progress.

I juiced up the VM ram from 4gb to 16gb, and it installed in about an hour for me. It seems clear RAM is the key, and with 16gb+ on a proper mac i imagine you'd get this under 30mins.

Always sucks when hardware is the issue.

Add a Comment

Replies

Apprently it heard me ... it's done installing 2 hours and 10 minutes after the process started.

Is this normal behavior? And install to take this long?

Mine's been stuck at "3 minutes" for a long time now. Not sure what's taking so long...

My MacBook Pro has been stuck at 3 minutes for over an hour. Will it ever finish?

• It's been a few years, has it finished yet?

Add a Comment

Same issue on my MacBook Pro. The progress status changes from 3 minutes, to 1 minute, back to 3, then 2 and back to 3...

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid-2012)

2.6 GHz i7

16 GB

Yosemite 10.10.5

after 2.5 hours, the install finally finished on its own.

As a precaution, did a command-r reboot and "Repaired Disk" - 3 issues, and "Repaired Permissions" - 4 issues.

Did any of that help you with the install of the XCode app after?

I just installed Photoshop without issues, but that was of course from outside of the App Store, without issues or having it take longer then the age of the universe.

Thank God someone was having this issue with a MacBook Pro, after buying the Macbook and seeing how long it was taking to extract XCode, I was sure that I had made a horrible mistake. Apparently, all is right with the universe 🙂. I can tell you that I installed KOTOR II (Game) in a reasonable ammount of time, from the App Store. It's about 6.8 GB, so about equivalant to XCode in size and it did that within 10 minutes. So I'm going to chalk this upto a quirk in this packaging of the XCode app and nothing to do with the perf of the Macbook its self.

Ermagad. It's taking forever from the app store so I tried to cancel all that, download the stand alone .dmg from developer.apple.com but it took forever too... so I cancelled that now going back to the app store way and will try wait it out.

Seems to be a memory issue on my macbook.

I have 8 GB of RAM, but the install seems to require 13 GB cuz it's using 5 GB of swap space even when everything else is closed.

But even after that was finished it is still stuck at "Installing - 3 minutes" even though nothing seems to be going on.

5 GB swap is a low to average amount used by the OS in normal circumstances.

I'd guess part of the time involved is waiting for the signing servers in the background, which are usually swamped (throttled?) at times like this. We just saw OS X, iTunes, Pages etc., iOS, tvOS and Xcode revision cycles, so...best to be patient.

But yeah, that 8gb ram isn't helping 😉

If it's not soldered in, I'd max it asap, regardless.

Oh, and be sure to keep a few tens of GB free on your SSD/HD. Don't forget to empty the trash to be sure.

Hi Dygear

Good day to you. After the installation of XCode 7.1 on your macbook 12", do you have any difficulty in running the Xcode and building projects with it? I have the same configuration as yours (macboko 12", 1.3ghz) but seems that my xcode would always freeze or crash.

Thanks in advance.

this ***** seems to be almost twice as large at previous xcode version.

I'm using a 13 inch MBPR 2014 model with 16GB ram , 'luckily' it just takes me 30 mins to upgrade.

I think the amount of RAM is the key factor.

Hope the next upgrade won't take this long.... /_\

This is the longest installation of my life. I thought my machine was broken and then I saw that it took a few hours for some other people too.