Apple TV not recognized by iTunes

Just got my dev kit in the mail and tried setting it up. When I plug it into my TV it enters recovery mode and shows the iTunes symbol.

However, when I connect it to iTunes via the provided USB cable it doesn't actually appear in the list. I tried with two laptops (one running 10.10 and one running 10.11) on iTunes 12.3. I then tried doing it through Xcode 7.1 instead but it couldn't see the device either.

The only troubleshooting advice the setup guide provided was to force it to enter recovery mode but it's already in recovery mode. I've also tried basic things like resetting the Apple TV.

Do I have a dud?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of dabinat Down vote post of dabinat
29k views

Replies

Yes, everything went smooth with activation of my devkit here :-)

After doing the install my Apple TV doesn't show on itunes. Been flipping the cable many times with no luck. At least it's set up so I can work on it.

Don't forget to plug in a power cord. 🙂

I also have this problem, flipping the cable doesn't help, tried it with HDMI connected and disconnected cable.. It doesn't even show up in the USB section of system profiler. Any ideas?

I unplugged and replugged it multiple times and made sure it was as firmly seated as possible. But the cable only "clicked" in one orientation.

It's probably a dodgy cable. Unfortunately I don't have any other USB-C cables to test with.

I have the same trouble. Before installation of tvOS beta, I can see the Apple TV on the list of iTune. Then it disappeared. I can not set the UUID now.

When in doubt manually put the AppleTV in recovery mode per the instructions in the installation guide (holding down the Menu & Play/Pause button for 6 seconds) then try to see if the Apple TV is connecting to iTunes.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. If the AppleTV is in Recovery Mode, then iTunes 12.3.0.44 recognizes it fine and displays the Firmware options But it does not display the UDID/Serial. I did this the first time and restored it to the most current beta firmware. I was then able to Eject the AppleTV and see content on my HDMI monitor.

If I just plug the AppleTV in normally, with or without the HDMI cable connected, iTunes will NOT recognize the device at all. It never shows up and no end of cable swapping, plugging or unplugging will help. iTunes simply will NOT recognize the device.

If I hold down MENU and PLAY/PAUSE for 6 seconds to put the device back into recovery mode, iTunes IMMEDIATELY recognizes it and displays the restore firmware interface.

So, this is either a bug in iTunes (most likely), or this is an issue with how the AppleTV is presenting itself to the Mac.

Would really like this fixed ASAP.

Thanks

Kinda of annoying because I set it up already and now can't get my UDID to register it. Will have to restore it again I guess.

I had a similar problem, but was able to get the UUID from the device viewer in XCode. Have you looked there?

Using Xcode Version 7.0 (7A220), assuming the apple tv showed up in system profiler, the apple tv is connected and editable, including changing the name and viewing the identifier.

Yeah. It worked for Xcode 7.1.

Could everyone both who have this problem and not, reply back as to which version of OS X they are running please? I am running latest Yosemite production build (Not El Capitan!) - No mention that tvOS requires beta of el Capitan, but I'm wondering now. Everything is working as expected EXCEPT this issue where AppleTV DOES NOT show up in iTunes Devices or Xcode 7.1 devices after Restore, successful setup on iPhone wiht 7.1, etc. This is a show stopper that we're all trying to find out a work around for. Thanks in advance for all those sharing your OS X build and whether you do or do not see the AppleTV in iTunes Devices and Xcode 7.1 as a device to build to.

Why is this a show stopper? I had same problems, and AppleTV still does not show in iTunes, but I am able to compile a test project and install an app on the TV. Clearly this is not stopping development.

UUID can be found in XCode's Devices window. When you try to compile a project with this "?" device chosen, Xcode will try to "fix" the issue with device profiles, as it usually does, and everyhing will work fine. Apple TV still shows as "?" in Devices in Xcode, but it is reckognized as an Apple TV. Hope this helps.

You are using the black cable, right?