Mac gets stuck on loading screen

Hello.

I've installed OS X El Capitan Public Beta few weeks ago. Everything worked fine, I used the MacBook for weeks without any problem.

Then happened that at startup, the MacBook was very slow in loading screen. After many minutes (about 10-20) it reached the end of the bar under the apple, but it gets stuck there. For hours nothing happens.

I've tried everything: S.O.S on the HD (everything is fine), tried to install OS X Yosemite (impossible of course because it finds a newer version of OS X), tried to reinstall OS X El Capitan. But NOTHING changed.

The last try i did was to delete an app that I've installed before this happened. I thought it could be related to this problem so I gave it a try. It's a Vodafone app that I used to connect to Internet by USB. I deleted all the files related to that app through the terminal, the app in Applications folder, the files in Application Support folder and also a file related located in a folder called "Incompatible Software", but NOTHING changes again.

Every time it loads for ages and then it gets stuck.

Now, I know that probably the only solution I have is to reformat the HD, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same or similar issue or just knows what to do in this case. Fortunately, I have Bootcamp, so I could copy my files from there to an external HD before reformat the MacBook.

I hope you could help me and forgive me if I made grammatical errors.

Thank you.

Accepted Reply

These forums are about to be closed (OS X 10.11 Beta Forum Closing)

I should point out that I'm not affiliated with Apple in any way, but if you would like to request personal help, please contact me on MacMax108@gmail.com

-Max

Replies

Maybe here I made a mistake. I entered the command twice as you can see. I hope this is not a problem.

1st time:

-bash-3.2# cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv AV*.kext Unsupported ; mv cdc*.kext Unsupported ; mv Huawei*.kext Unsupported ; mv Icera*.kext Unsupported ; mv NM*.kext Unsupported ; mv Novate*.kext Unsupported ; mv Option*.kext Unsupported ; mv USBExpress*.kext Unsupported ; mv Voda*.kext Unsupported ; mv ZTEUSB*.kext Unsupported ; find System/Library/Extensions -ctime +8w -depth 2

mkdir: Unsupported: File exists

find: System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

2nd time:

-bash-3.2# cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv AV*.kext Unsupported ; mv cdc*.kext Unsupported ; mv Huawei*.kext Unsupported ; mv Icera*.kext Unsupported ; mv NM*.kext Unsupported ; mv Novate*.kext Unsupported ; mv Option*.kext Unsupported ; mv USBExpress*.kext Unsupported ; mv Voda*.kext Unsupported ; mv ZTEUSB*.kext Unsupported ; find System/Library/Extensions -ctime +8w -depth 2

mkdir: Unsupported: File exists

mv: rename AV*.kext to Unsupported/AV*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename cdc*.kext to Unsupported/cdc*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename Huawei*.kext to Unsupported/Huawei*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename Icera*.kext to Unsupported/Icera*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename NM*.kext to Unsupported/NM*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename Novate*.kext to Unsupported/Novate*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename Option*.kext to Unsupported/Option*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename USBExpress*.kext to Unsupported/USBExpress*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename Voda*.kext to Unsupported/Voda*.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename ZTEUSB*.kext to Unsupported/ZTEUSB*.kext: No such file or directory

find: System/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

Good. It's worked. So all those 3rd party kernel extensions are moved out the way now.

The next thing is to try booting normally again.

Don't worry about doing it a second time - it's just extra proof that it worked the first time 🙂

It worked fine. BUT, now it is EXTREMELY slow. It is impossible to use. I restarted it but it's slow as before. 😟

Okay, then there's a few small things to do.

Back in Recovery Mode,

• Central Pane > Disk Utility > Select "Macintosh HD" > First Aid
  • Then in Terminal:

rm -Rf /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/folders/*

Then the following are always good to do after the kind of system failiure you had:

SMC Reset:

1. Shut down the MacBook Pro.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift, Control, and Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on and boot normally.

NVRAM Reset:

1. Shut down the MacBook Pro.
  2. Hold down Command, Option (left side), P and R keys while you switch on and continue holding them until you hear the restart sound a second time

After that, your system will take a while to log in the first time, but after that things will hopefully be back to normal. Let me know how you get on 🙂

Well, now it looks everything fine. I was not able to do the SMC Reset, but I did all the rest and it looks fine.

Now I'm having difficulties to undestand which version of El Capitan is installed. I am downloading El Capitan GM, but when I clicked on the button Download it said that I already had El Capitan. I don't know, I will install and then we will see. I'll let you know how will it be after installing El Capitan GM.
Thank you so much Max.

No problem 🙂

Please open Terminal and run:

sw_vers -buildVersion

Post the output here and that will tell me which version you have. If you have any trouble with the new install, then please start a new question and I'll try to help with that too.

Now I've installed the GM and the terminal output is:

sw_vers -buildVersion

15A282a

Now my MacBook is working quite perfectly. Btw I still want to reformat the HD when El Capitan goes out to have a clean installation.

I don't want to abuse of your altruism, but there is "One more thing" I want to solve. When I turn on the MacBook it does a strange sound followed by the DVD drive which, for 3 times, tries to eject a disc. Of course there are no discs inside it and I have no idea why it does like this everytime. I thought it would be solved once installed GM, but it's still happening. It's not a big deal since it's only a bit annoying to hear those sounds everytime I turn on the Mac, but do you know what can it be?

Thank you again Max, I hope you're being paid for what you do, because for sure you DESERVE it!

😍 Lovely of you to say, but no - I'm not being paid in any way for helping people troubleshoot their Mac/iDevice issues, but I know how frustrating it is when something relied on stops working. So I enjoy helping with that.

Anyway, I can confirm from that build number that you are running the Public Beta GM - so that's good.

As for the DVD drive issue, my first advice would be to a SMC reset, because that's the only (user fixable) thing that could be causing this. How old is your MacBook, because if it's old enough then the SMC instructions are different to the ones I already posted.

It's a MacBook Pro 15'' Mid 2009

Any earlier than that and the SMC instructions would be different, but those steps I posted do apply to your 2009 MBP. You mentioned that you were "not able to do the SMC Reset" - could you expand? There is no feedback to let you know that it has happened (although sometimes you can see the light on the magsafe connector blink) if you were expecting some. Or did you mean that you couldn't do the NVRAM reset?

Ok, I did it now. I've seen the MagSafe light going from orange to green for a few seconds. Then back to orange again.

By the way it didn't solved the problem. :/

Now I just tried to put a disk inside the drive and it's like there is something inside 😮. I have no idea what it can be and there is no way to look inside. If I press the eject key on the keyboard nothing happens. It's very strange. What could I do?

Maybe someone put something in there? - Do you have any children in the house? 😀

There are a number of ways to "force" eject media from the Superdrive - The best may be click down and hold the trackpad as soon as you power on and hold it thoughout the bootup. If that doesn't work try these:

Force Ejecting a Disk with Disk Utility
Launch Disk Utility and select the CD/DVD from the sidebar. Click the Eject icon at the top of the Disk Utility screen.

Forcibly Ejecting a Disc with the Command Line
To do this, launch the Terminal and type following command:

drutil eject

No, I don't have any children here 😕

1. The best may be click down and hold the trackpad as soon as you power on and hold it thoughout the bootup: I've already tried this whitout any changes. It's like that everytime I boot the MacBook, it automatically tries to eject what's inside.

2. Force Ejecting a Disk with Disk Utility: If I open Utility disk I only have my HD on the sidebar, no CD/DVD.

3. Forcibly Ejecting a Disc with the Command Line: It does exactly the same thing as when it starts. The strange sound and then three attemps to eject the disk.

😟