IPSec VPN not working under iOS 9 Beta

Hello everyone:

I think I have found a pretty serious bug in the iOS 9 Public Beta:

At home I have a router provided by my ISP. Because I want to use my Fortigate firewall, I have to set up my firewall with the WAN in the private network provided to me by the ISP, with my network behind it. I have my ISP router forwarding everything (DMZ) to my firewall. This is, more or less, completely transparent, as I can forward ports and create VPN connections directly on my Fortigate without touching anything else on the ISP router.

My iPad, running iOS 8.4, works just fine using the same exact connection parameters. I can dial in via IPSec and access my home network or the internet via VPN. However, when I connect with my iPhone running the latest iOS 9 public beta, the connection comes up, but I cannot pass any traffic. More specifically, traffic leaves the iPhone, arrives at the firewall, is forwarded to the destination, comes back to the firewall, is reencrypted and sent back to the iPhone, then nothing.

I think it has something to do with NAT Traversal. With standard IPSec, UDP port 500 is used. If the protocol detects NAT in the middle, it will switch to port 4500. I think the iPhone understands how to build a connection with NAT in the middle, but when the packets arrive, something happens and the iPhone forgets about NAT Traversal, dropping the packets. It's the only thing I can think of.

Is there any way to directly contact Apple with this issue without going through the low-level "have you tried rebooting your phone" guys first?

Replies

please belive me that Unitymedia is aware about the ECN flag problem. They do have the problem actually since 2008, because Unitymedia is doing a wrong flag of ECN. But I do not belive that Unitymedia will change the setting 0x03 of that ECN flag, because they are wrongly thing that they are the kings and other like Apple should do Changes. For myself as I am a Unitymedia customer will cancel my contract with Unitymedia asap.

There is no other ISP in Germany with this kind of problem since IOS9!

Unitymedia is unable to confront with the problem. You describe that as a detailed problem and your ticket will still closed after 1-2 days succinctly by SMS:

"Dear Customer, after technical verification there is no fault on the side of Unitymedia. The problemn could be narrowed down to your device. Please contact your manufacturer or dealer. Your Unitymedia Team".

Unitymedia is not nearly able to recognize their problem. A real reason to leave the group. Nothing changed in iOS 9.1. :/

Changing providers won't really fix the problem. It just masks the symptoms. The only thing Unitymedia is doing is reporting congestion properly (or possibly too aggressively, depending on whether their network really is experiencing significant congestion). There's nothing wrong with that, and if iOS is failing to handle the traffic, then that's a serious bug that needs to be fixed. More to the point, iOS dropping those packets is likely to make congestion worse by causing retransmits. So that's exactly the opposite of the correct behavior.

Just want to let you know the latest news.

I made a bug-ticket and it has been closed as a duplicate entry. I made a lot of calls with Unitymedia.

I guess the Probnlem has been become serious.

The good news is:

Apple: With the latest iOS 9.2 Public Beta 1 Version you can connect with VPN IPSec again.

Unitymedia: They want to fix it till the end of november.

Sources:

http://knx-user-forum.de/forum/%C3%B6ffentlicher-bereich/knx-eib-forum/871860-vpn-verbindnung-mit-ios9-x/page2

http://www.iphone-ticker.de/apple-veroeffentlicht-erste-oeffentliche-beta-von-ios-9-2-88655/

If you can't wait you can register for free to use and test public beta-firmware:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/de/betaprogram/redemption?locale=en#ios