ITMS-90283 invalid provisioning profile

I have a maccatalyst App on the store, uploaded 20 March. Am now attempting to upload a new version but it fails with:

"Unable to process application at this time due to the following error: Invalid Provisioning Profile. The provisioning profile included in the bundle maccatalyst.com.plugh.XYZZY [maccatalyst.com.plugh.XYZZY.pkg/Payload/XYZZY.app] is invalid. [Invalid 'com.apple.application-identifier' entitlement value.] For more information, visit the macOS Developer Portal"

As I mentioned this App is already on the store and nothing has change in the project relating to profiles/signing to my knowledge other than a new Xcode. In fact, signing and provisioning is all automatic, and the maccatalyst app id is auto-generated

Interestingly, I still have the previous App bundle that was successfully uploaded to the store, and when I (re-)verify it there is an identical error to the above. So I am at a loss as to how to move ahead at this point in time.

Accepted Reply

I do not spend as much time finding obscure bugs as I did on this issue. In hindsight, this is probably the solution:

(cd ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/; rm *)

Really short story before my brain glazes over:

• This was an iPad app that I had checked the Mac box, and after the proper machinations there were two distinct Apps in Connect, and the Xcode project had co-mingled build settings and a new Mac target. You all know the drill. 2/3 sister Apps continue to work in that mode, although I wonder for how long?
  • I grep-ed through Provisioning\ Profiles and removed those which seemed relevant, no luck.
  • I grep-ed through Xcode project files and didn’t see anything to filemod!
  • I tried “joining” the Apps, which required I remove the MacCat app from sale. Bad move, now I have one instance of the App, of which only the iOS half is usable.
  • I found this SO page, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60611420/error-itms-90283-with-invalid-com-apple-application-identifier-entitlement-va, which describes the *exact* same problem, so taking hints from that …
  • I turned off automatically generated MacCat bundle ID and made a new one, created a new App ID with that bundle name, manually provisioned that new App, and … still no luck.
  • … lots of other stuff … fail.
  • Finally I went berserk: (cd ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/; rm *)
  • Then everything worked. So I’m guessing I wasted a lot of time, profiles, App Ids and sleep.

At least that the gist of what went down, the details are no doubt only fuzzily correct.

Replies

Per Apple's docs I ran these commands on the current App's archive bundle and the previous (which uploaded to the Store 10 weeks ago):

codesign -d --entitlements :- XYZZY.app/

security cms -D -i XYZZY.app/Contents/embedded.provisionprofile

and diff-ed the output, other than date/time, version number there are no differences. (OK, I did add the com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write entitlement, but the App's sister App also had this added entitlement and it verifies and has uploaded OK).

In particular, the application-identifier and associated-application-identifier (whatever that is!) are unchanged. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

I do not spend as much time finding obscure bugs as I did on this issue. In hindsight, this is probably the solution:

(cd ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/; rm *)

Really short story before my brain glazes over:

• This was an iPad app that I had checked the Mac box, and after the proper machinations there were two distinct Apps in Connect, and the Xcode project had co-mingled build settings and a new Mac target. You all know the drill. 2/3 sister Apps continue to work in that mode, although I wonder for how long?
  • I grep-ed through Provisioning\ Profiles and removed those which seemed relevant, no luck.
  • I grep-ed through Xcode project files and didn’t see anything to filemod!
  • I tried “joining” the Apps, which required I remove the MacCat app from sale. Bad move, now I have one instance of the App, of which only the iOS half is usable.
  • I found this SO page, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60611420/error-itms-90283-with-invalid-com-apple-application-identifier-entitlement-va, which describes the *exact* same problem, so taking hints from that …
  • I turned off automatically generated MacCat bundle ID and made a new one, created a new App ID with that bundle name, manually provisioned that new App, and … still no luck.
  • … lots of other stuff … fail.
  • Finally I went berserk: (cd ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning\ Profiles/; rm *)
  • Then everything worked. So I’m guessing I wasted a lot of time, profiles, App Ids and sleep.

At least that the gist of what went down, the details are no doubt only fuzzily correct.

Hi, I wonder if you were ever able to figure this out? Since installing Xcode 12.2 I've had Error ITMS-90283 when I've tried to publish 2 different apps. Both had been published twice in the preceding 5 months with Xcode 11.x

These are both Mac apps.

I'm dead in the water until I can get beyond this. Maybe just wait for Xcode 12.3 to come out.