Does FairPlay stop mid-stream when the license expires?

In online playback with FairPlay, if the license duration is very short (for example, 90 seconds in a one-hour asset) - will AVPlayer stop the playback in the middle?

In my experience, it doesn't - but maybe we're doing something wrong when building the license on our KSM.

According to the FPS PG, there are 3 types of duration:

• Content key duration
  • Lease Duration
  • Rental Duration

What's the purpose of each? It's not very clear in the guide.

Which one of them should be set if I want the playback to halt mid-stream when the license expires (if at all possible)?

Thanks, Noam.

Replies

This is not possible by relying on the license expire date. The stream can be played till the end even if the rental time is expired for better user experience.
This response is based on Fairplay PG ver 4.3.2. The content key duration is a TLLV. It has fields Lease duration and Rental duration.

As per this Fairplay guide, the content key can be of type "lease" or type "rental".

If your content key is of type "lease", the client is expected to renew the lease. If you don't renew the content key lease, playback will stop even if you are in the middle of video playback. I get the impression this is happening in your case 90 secs.

However, if the content key is of type "rental", the client is not expected to renew. In such cases, if you are in the middle of playback and your content key expires, playback will continue and not stop.