Distribution of Network extension App with App Sandboxing disable

Hi

I know the App Sandboxing must be enabled to distribute Network extension applications from macOS App.

And As per the below document, Network Extension apps can also be distributed outside from the Mac App Store using a provisioning profile.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/entitlements/com_apple_developer_networking_networkextension?language=objc

Could you please confirm if I disable App Sandbox for my "App Proxy" extension. whether I can distribute my app outside of the Mac App Store?

Regards,

Anand Choubey

Replies

If you distribute outside of the Mac App Store with Developer ID your app and Network Extension will need to run in the sandbox.

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com

Thanks meaton!

You would like to say: "Network Extension will *NOT* need to run in the sandbox. Did you miss NOT in your reply?

Could you please me let me know what is the purpose of AppSand box in App Proxy Network extension if it can not be disabled outside of Mac App Store?

Regards,

Anand Choubey

The App Sandbox is less about where the app is distributed and more about controlling access to resources and ensuring privacy on the system. For example, you would not want an Network Extension writing and removing user files on the system that are completely unrelated to the NE's functionality. This is just one of the things that App Sandbox helps control.

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com