App rejected 5.2.1- Intellectual Property

Hello,

My app just got rejected because of AppStore guidelines violation with the following message:

"The seller and company names associated with your app do not reflect the name "AppName" in the app or its metadata, as required by Guideline 5.2.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines."
Of course the app name and company name are different but I don't know how to fix this. What does "app or its metadata" means in this context?
Maybe it's worth mentioning that I already had a few builds approved but just today it started to fail and I don't understand the reason...they just copy paste the guidelines that I've already read many times.
Thank you!

Replies

Wy are they different? Why didn't that company buy and use it's own dev account? Does that company know you? Did they ask you to use your account to put an app in the store so they wouldn't have to buy their own?

Buying their own account would have made things much easier, and you could have still made the app itself as a contractor, working for them in the background.

Apple wants the name on the dev account to reflect the company presented in the app so that users aren't confused or misled, meaning the company needs to own the account, not just some random dev - even if the random dev has permission to act on company's behalf, the dev/account name displayed in the store needs to match the company name being thrown around for the app that users see.

>What does "app or its metadata" means in this context?

Seriously? You have no idea what that means? It's a test...

Which words don't you understand?

- app

- metadata

- associated

- required

- intellectual property

5.2.1....Apps should be submitted by the person or legal entity that owns or has licensed the intellectual property * and other relevant rights ** .

* You can try appealing by simply stating that the company is the sole owner of the app named 'app name' and owns all of the trademarks associated with that name. That assumes that you are, actually, "MonOrdo".

** Another problem may be that the app is a prescription app and your company name might not convince Apple that you have the relevant rights to do what the app is doing - e.g. transfer an authorization for a prescription from doctor to pharmacy. In this case you would need to assert that right, and why you have that right, in your appeal.

Thanks a lot for your answer! I'll try to state that in the app description or in the copyright section, maybe it helps. We're a small startup, at the begining of the road, so we're learing all this stuff on the go.

>that in the app description or in the copyright section

And be sure you understand that both of those are part of 'meta data' for that 'app'. Be sure you don't stop there, tho, or you will risk being reprimanded again/