Trying to test the process of getting a NE to work as a Developer ID app with SIP on

I have been tasked to "try out" the instructions in the Jan 14 response from this post, and figure out how to integrate it into our development process. I thought I had done it correctly, but when I build I get this error :

error: No certificate for team 'TeamName (Company)' matching 'Developer ID Application: TeamName' found: 
Select a different signing certificate for CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY, a team that matches your selected certificate, 
or switch to automatic provisioning. (in target 'AppName-macOS' from project 'AppName')

The only explanation I have for this error is that when I created the provisioning profile, I chose may have chose the production certificate, which I do not have on my machine. I couldn't tell which certificate was which, they were all named similarly, so I chose the one whose date was furtherest out.

Follow up question, is there any documentation on how to carry out this task via command line (codesign) tool? Production signing happens on a different machine on a different network, so we have a development certificate for everyday tasks and signing. This signing happens via command line.

Thanks!

In reply to your followup question, if you use the command line tool xcodebuild (see man xcodebuild), to build your Xcode projects, you can override build settings on the command line. We use this for our builds. In the project we set the CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY to "Mac Developer" for both Release and Debug builds so the Developer ID certificate is not needed on normal development computers. When we actually want to build the final product we use xcodebuild and set CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY="Developer ID Application" on the command line. There may be a few other build settings that need to be overriden at the command line. If I recall correctly we needed to explicitly set CODE_SIGN_INJECT_BASE_ENTITLEMENTS=NO and OTHER_CODE_SIGN_FLAGS="--timestamp" to get notarization to work.

Trying to test the process of getting a NE to work as a Developer ID app with SIP on

Q