App updates when using NEPacketTunnelNetwork on iOS13

We are experiencing that the download and installation does not finish on TestFlight when running an active packet tunnel. Only after disabling the VPN and pausing/resuming the download on the home screen, the upgrade succeeds on iOS13

Could a similar scenario also happen when upgrading live apps from the app store, given that they are running a packet tunnel? Or are these fundamentally different processes?Or just the bug of TestFlight ?

Replies

Could a similar scenario also happen when upgrading live apps from the app store, given that they are running a packet tunnel?

That’s certainly possible. The TestFlight and App Store upgrade processes are very similar, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the App Store upgrade process had a similar issue.

And, we’ve definitely had problems like this in previous iOS releasing.

Having said that, I’ve not seen other folks reporting this, and when this has happened in the past I heard a lot of complaints.

It sounds like you can reproduce the problem at will, in which case you should definitely file a bug. Make sure to:

• Note down the times of each relevant event (that is, when you initially triggered the update, when you noticed it has stalled, when you disconnected VPN, and when the update completed)

• Include a sysdiagnose log (per our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page)

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you and I have filed a bug with the bug number FB7575012

Reproduced also on macOS 10.15.7, I submitted bug FB8938775