Safari passwords on subdomains

When I login to an account on a subdomain of a main domain, I want to be able to store a separate password for the same login id on the main domain account. This doesn't seem possible in the current Safari implementation.

eg: domain.com is the main domain and is the general information site.

my.domain.com is the subdomain that hosts the customer support.

I want different passwords on each for the same login ID... Can't I do this?

--marcel

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of nanoplane Down vote post of nanoplane
8.3k views

Replies

hi marcel,

same issue here. Multiple passwords are stored for the domain and subdomain but only one is offerd and thats usually the last one used for any of these domains...

hopefully this bug will be fixed soon.

Regards,

Dominik

Visa have just created this problem for themselves with their new subdomain system for visaoffers.eu. The subdomain is the three character code for the bank, so
[https aib.visaoffers.eu/]
is treated by Safari as the same as the subdomain:
[https boi.visaoffers.eu/]

These are two different banks and two different Visa cards. Safari only recognises them as one domain, so it can't automatically generate or save passwords multiple subdomains of this site. Obviously one doesn't want two different cards associated with one login/password.

regards,
Martin

I have the same issue and it is very annoying.

I hope this will be fixed soon!

Regards,
Björn
Hi, i hav that exact same issue and found no workaround did someone do?
same issue here, incredibly frustrating.
Same here: For our agency-administration we have many subdomains that are not correctly recognized by Apple. So when iOS suggests a password for our services or client developments, it is mostly wrong and our team has to change credentials very often because of this. Please recognize the full domain including subdomain, and don't read just the tld, Apple!
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of HFMH Down vote reply of HFMH
It is as easy as adding a new item to the keychain.
For example, if you have a domain domain.tld and a subdomain sub.domain.tld, you can follow these steps to add 2 valid passwords that get used when you login to the respective sites:
  1. Login to domain.tld and choose "save password" when login

2. Repeat for sub.domain.tld and again choose to "save password" when login

3. Manually open the keychain and ensure that the distinct passwords have been saved for each item

4. If the same password was saved for both just change the items adequately (edit them and save)

5. You can now successfully login to both items without hassle.

Additionally there will also be a "other passwords of this site" which further allows you to pick the right password when login
But it is not required, I use this daily on a ton of sites and the only thing I always need to do is (once) make sure the correct password got saved for the correct item.
After that once manual edit, you're good to go.

Hope that helps,
Beda.
  • While this workaround can be successful, it's not a good solution, and often won't work for users that let Apple auto-generate their passwords.

• While it's good to mention that you can change the password for a specific subdomain in Keychain Access, it is no good solution if you have like 30 different subdomains and some (not only one!) using another password than the main domain. Also the main domain is basically never used in my case, as always some single sign-on subdomain is used.

Apple FIX THIS FINALLY AFTER 4 YEARS please!!!

Add a Comment

Few things Apple should fix for Keychain & Safari:

1. Recognise sub-domain as different platform.
  2. Recognise sub-folder as different platform.
  3. Don't update all the passwords for with the same root domain when user click "Update Password".

Fully agree that this feature is annoying. "other passwords" helps somehow but I can't recognise which I need in case have the same username.

This is especially annoying in California, where the dmv, the secretary of state, and all sorts of different business services are all under ca.gov (dmv.ca.gov, sos.ca.gov, etc). I guess no one at Apple lives in California maybe?

• This is my exact problem. I have passwords saved on multiple ca.gov sites and when I change the password for just one, keychain tries to update them all as if they are all the same.

Add a Comment

This is the biggest issue with iCloud Keychain, and it's important that a solution is released to avoid continued user friction and temptation to leave the service. I run into this issue regularly, and the risk of overwriting login information as a result of naive subdomain handling is a big problem.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Phy Down vote reply of Phy

+1 ... Please support different passwords for different sub-domains.

Like coserv.smarthub.coop vs graysoncollin.smarthub.coop vs intelli.smarthub.coop
There are many servicing websites that use different sub-domains for different customers w their own accounts

At least let us go into Safari preferences and specify the full domain name to be able to differentiate credential sets for sub-domains.

+1 Super annoying

It is still a problem ... and a very annoying one ...

Got 4 subdomains with 2FA on them and can't save (only one!) because Safari groups them together. Fix please!