Network Extension VPN cannot be turned on after iCloud restore

Hello

We found a problem with Network Extension VPN cannot be turned on after iCloud restore. If we set up a new iPhone with restore from iCloud, the VPN cannot be turned on after the restore from the iCloud process completes.

It seems that iOS will try to turn on the VPN due to On-Demand rules, however, it will always fail because the corresponding VPN app has not been downloaded finish. There is no VPN instance that can be launched but iOS always tries to turn on due to On-Demand rules. At that moment, the network stuck because iOS continuous retry to turn on VPN.

My question is,

How can I exclude the VPN profile from iCloud Backup from our VPN app code level?

Or iOS can check the VPN App instance exists or not before enabling the VPN profile?

Thanks

Replies

You mentioned:

| There is no VPN instance that can be launched but iOS always tries to turn on due to

| On-Demand rules. At that moment, the network stuck because iOS continuous retry to turn | on VPN.

This specific case should be captured in a bug report. Please file a bug report and add a sysdiagnose and any additional logs, screen shots, and configurations that you have when reproducing this case. Please respond back to this thread with the bug number so it is captured here.

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com

Hi Matt

Thank for your support.

We have already filed a bug report, and the bug number is 7527119.

Andy,

Thank you for creating this bug. I took a look at the timestamps from the logs in your bug report compared to your sysdiagnose and the ones from the sysdiagnose seem to be about 15 minutes apart. I would recommend initiating the sysdiagnose once your device has been restored and is up and running again.

I was able to take a look at the VPN profile in network logs. It looks like OnDemandEnabled is set to NO. Does this workaround the issue of the network being stuck?

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com

Hi Meaton

Thank you for your support. Turn off the VPN OnDemandEnabled is a workaround to resolve the network stuck issue. However, we think iOS can fix the bug to prevent turn on a VPN which app doesn't exist. The reason is that iOS tries to turn on a VPN which app doesn't exist is illogical.

Hi,

Is there any plan to fix this problem?

Thanks.

I have not seen any movement on this issue. Are you able to re-install the VPN app manual as a second workaround?

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com

Hi meaton

When the issue occured, users can uninstall the VPN app to let the VPN profile gone. After uninstall the VPN app, they can re-install the VPN app by AppStore App. Wo, we can able to re-install the VPN app manual as a second workaround. However, the user data in VPN app will be deleted as well. They have to re-setup the VPN configuration and license.

Thanks.