How to efficiently reduce the 'Others' storage on Mac OS Catalina

I tried to download the update for Xcode to 11.1 for Mac OS Catalina on my MacBook Air 2017. It downloaded it but couldn't install. I tried doing three times but it was unsuccessful. Instead what I got is my free storage got reduced with 'Others' storage increasing to 65 gb. So I am not bothered about the update any more. I just want to reduce the 'Others' storage to back where it was around 34 gb or so.

Replies

Catalina does smoke/mirrors w/Time Machine local backups (depending on drive size and free space %), and, it seems to take it's time letting you know free space changes, usually not in real time. As well, the MAS seems to be unable to work with reliable free space numbers.

Additionally, 65 GB is just barely enough, but...coupled w/the MAS's 3rd grade math, even double that might still be an issue.

I would (a) get as far above 65 GB as I could, and (b) grab Xcode 11.1 from More, then do a manual install and (c) start shopping for a much larger drive.

User-centric questions on dealing with 'Others' &/or About/Storage/Manage, might be better suited for Apple's public community support forums, Apple's twitter support account and/or Apple’s YouTube Support Channel vs. risking off-topic here in DevForums, thanks and good luck.

https://support.apple.com/