How to use large location data sets in Mapkit?

Guidance or suggestions related to MapKit & CoreLocation on how to solve the following:

Objective:

Show voter polling locations near the user current position on a map.

Given:

• The data set for voter polling locations is not small. Specifically, for Pennsylvania ~10,000 sites exist statewide. For medium size Pa county (pop. 130k) ~70 sites.
  • The voter polling location data from individual states does not include latitude or longitude typically addresses strings.

Question:

What is the best practice/ strategy for integrating the voter polling location data sets into maps?

Any recommendations/ references/ documentation on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think the typical approach is to load bias depending on zoom, meaning that at no time is the entire set queued up.

f4jmarkr wrote:

What is the best practice/ strategy for integrating the voter polling location data sets into maps?

Any recommendations/ references/ documentation on how to proceed would be appreciated.

I'm afraid the best practice is not to use MapKit. That is a small dataset for most web-based mapping toolkits. You might have some difficulty doing the geocoding because most people make you pay for that. But still, with such a small dataset, it won't cost much. Years ago you would have to pay by data point, but you can get unlimited US geocoding for $1/hour on AWS, probably cheaper if you look around. Google's free geocoding limit is 100,000 records a day. You should be fine.

How much does Apple charge? What are Apple's rate limits? If you are able to find out, let me know. And if your proposed app something that is in direct violation of Apple's MapKit Addendum to the Developer Program License Agreement? What about "neither You nor Your Application may use or make available the Map Data, or any portion thereof, as part of any secondary or derived database."? And you aren't going to "copy, modify, translate, create a derivative work of, publish or publicly display the Map Data in any way" are you? I could go on, but I suggest maybe Google to get the coordinates, and some web-based service to display it on an OSM base map.

How to use large location data sets in Mapkit?

Q