Moving from iPhone XS Max w/13.1 to 11Pro Max

In the past we had to play games to move to a newer phone that had the older release software. Are the 11's coming with 13 or 13.1? If 13.1, what will be the procedure to migrate?

Replies

Hi Katman,

before restoring from backup to your new iPhone 11 pro max you will have to upgrade it to iOS 13.1 beta. Only then will you be able to restore your XS Max 13.1 backup to the new iPhone 11 Pro.

Neal

Do betas like this usually come out immediately for new iPhones? I can’t remember if there’s been a time before when there has been an active beta by the time the new iPhones come out, so I’m really hoping they release a version of 13.1 that supports the iPhone 11. Cause if not we won’t be able to do iCloud backups/restores.

A good point, and one that stung me a few years ago.

I believe it was the iPhone X. The current iOS betas at the time were not available for the iPhone X at initial delivery or pickup time. As a result, I had to start with a "new device" - that is insanely time consuming, as the syncing of applicaitons and data is painfully slow over USB (and even slower over WiFi).

Since a new Beta came out today, and there is no Restore image for the 11/Pro/Max range, I suspect that if you're getting your phone on Friday, you'll either have to set it up as new, or, hope that a new beta comes out in a couple of weeks that you can put 13.1 on.

I've pretty much resigned myself to spending tomorrow (hooray for being Australian, living in the future!) doing a new-device-setup on my 11 Pro Max.

Oh dang. Yeah, I get mine Friday (although thanks to me being out of town I don’t think I’ll have it till Sunday evening). I’m perfectly fine with doing the old-fashioned way and backing up and restoring via iTunes, I just worry about compatibility. I’ve moved from a higher to a lower version before, but not on a brand new iPhone. I didn’t realize we got a beta today, though. It’s entirely possible that Apple thought ahead this time and prepared it for the iPhone 11, and we just don’t see it yet. That would be *incredible* if so.

Ah dammit, that's a really good point. Currently none of the Betas list the iPhone 11 at all. Therefore tomorrow when I get my new iPhone 11 Pro I won't be able to restore the backup of my XS.

Guess I'll have to live with a brand new install until the betas are updated.

I did some research, and it looks like we're probably going to get a 13.1 beta for the iPhone 11 lineup on Friday by 1pm. This is likely because of the public beta program (which of course existed in previous years too) also getting a public beta for 13.1 yesterday at the same time as developers. Apple probably realizes that there will be people on the public beta who also preordered, so I'm willing to bet they prepped a 13.1 beta for the iPhone 11 series.

That said, if they didn't they're going to have some upset customers (myself included). Then again, this goes back to the time-old warning that you shouldn't run betas on your main personal devices. We'll see tomorrow I suppose.

I hope so. 1pm wouldn't be too bad. My appointment is 11am so by the time I get the phone and then travel home, it'll be not long before that.

I'm thinking the new iPhones will have 13 on them. We will probably have to set them up as a new phone and then upgrade them to 13.1 beta and then do a migrate. It's been a couple years since this happened but I think I set up as new, upgraded to latest beta OS, wiped the phone, then let it do it's own migrate thing. I guess we'll all find out tomorrow!

Apparently the 13.1 beta is now available for the new phones OTA with the beta profile installed. MacRumors just announced this 5 minutes ago.

Looks like 13 was just released and 13.1 will be released on 09-24-19.

I am in a similar scenario but with a beta version of 13.0 (17A5565b). Will I be able to move over to the 11 without going through the process of setting up as a new device and installing the Beta profile first?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the backup and restore to work.

Old: XS Max, 13.1b4

New: 11 Pro Max, 13.1b4

I did a full backup and sync of Old before plugging New into computer running Catalina Beta (which may be the problem here).

The Welcome to your New Phone screen comes up, and it lets me select the backup I just made of Old for a Restore, asks for the password, and then promptly stops and returns to the "welcome to your new phone page".

Console says:

error09:39:15.476526+1000AMPDevicesAgentno XPC UI connection after waiting 2.0 seconds!
error09:39:15.476567+1000AMPDevicesAgentfailed to start device restore from backup (-128)
error09:39:15.477464+1000com.apple.amp.devicesuierror restoring backup: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-128

Which doesn't bode well. I'll try a system restart, tried rebooting the 11 Pro Max, but, still can not restore.

UPDATE:

Got it to work. Had to disable FindMyiPhone first. There is no warning in Catalina about deactivating that ahead of a restore. There is in Mojave. Things are now progressing!

`17A5565b` is the build number for iOS 13 beta 7. That means you’re a couple betas behind, so you certainly need to upgrade for security reasons. You can do that through the software update section of settings on your device. That will get you to the GM seed, which is the same version that the iPhone 11 series will arrive with. That said, if for some reason you’re unable to update, you will likely be able to restore your backup. Going to a higher iOS version from a lower version is possible, whereas the rest of us were previously scared because you can not restore a backup from a higher version onto a lower one. TL;DR: you’re good.

Anyone know about the validity of the betas being accessible to iPhone 11? Apple Insider says so... https://mobile.twitter.com/appleinsider/status/1174748262617767937

That is exactly what I was wondering. I can’t currently update on the device (just to 13.1) and I didn’t want to do so if it would cause the extra steps during the setup of the new device. Thank you very much for your help!