com.apple.rpmuxd.plist

Launchd script:/Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.rpmuxd.plist
Executable:/usr/libexec/rpmuxd
Install date:2019-07-09 04:38:36
Details:Restrictive app permissions - possibly adware

Found the above with EtreCheck.

The plist file exists, however the executable does not.

ls -l /Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.rpmuxd.plist
   -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  167 Jul  9 04:38 /Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.rpmuxd.plist
ls -l /usr/libexec/rpmuxd
    ls: /usr/libexec/rpmuxd: No such file or directory

My question is to other Catalina beta users: Does /usr/libexec/rpmuxd exist on your system?

My question to anyone: What does service does rpmuxd provide? (Google did not help me).

Accepted Reply

rpmuxd is the Remote Package Multiplexer Daemon, a diagnostic component of Xcode which is used to collect network package traces of attached iOS devices during debugging.

It seems that Apple has not updated the launch description of this service for Catalina yet. The system policies of Catalina don't allow Xcode to install the software at its traditional location. The correct path in the plist should be "/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/rpmuxd".

Replies

I show the same system state that you do; the plist exists but the executable does not.

rpmuxd is the Remote Package Multiplexer Daemon, a diagnostic component of Xcode which is used to collect network package traces of attached iOS devices during debugging.

It seems that Apple has not updated the launch description of this service for Catalina yet. The system policies of Catalina don't allow Xcode to install the software at its traditional location. The correct path in the plist should be "/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/rpmuxd".