UIDocumentBrowserViewController can't create documents under "On My iPhone"

For some reason, my app cannot create documents in the "On My iPhone" section in its file browser.

I'm using

UIDocumentBrowserViewController
UISupportsDocumentBrowser
is true in my
Info.plist

I see folders for various other apps under "On My iPhone" but there isn't one present for mine.

I can create documents in iCloud drive.

Is there a setting that enables document creation "On My iPhone." Why would this ever be disabled? (ARGH!)

Replies

Have you saved a document in any app with the iPhone you are using? I have found that documents will not save on the device until you save a document on that device using any app. It is easiest to save a document in one of Apple's iWork apps.

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to save a document on my iOS device on an app I was developing. What I had to do to fix the issue was to save a document in Pages and copy the document from iCloud to the device. Once I had a document on the device in Pages, I was able to save documents on the device in my app.

According to Developer Tech Support, the local documents folder only shows up if there is a document in it. It's easy to test: when you delete all the local docs, the folder disappears. Interestingly, the user can also move a doc to the local folder, causing it to show up again.

Anyone know why it works this way? Super confusing.