Catalina beta 4 to 5 not finishing upgrade

Hi all,

I'm upgrading from catalina beta 4 to beta 5 on a 2017 MacBook Pro (15 inch, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD). It's been upgrading for nearly 5 hours and not progressing.

I had similar issue when upgrading to beta4, left it overinight and it was finished in the morning.

Has anyone experienced similar upgrade times ?

Replies

I have the similar problem. I am using MacBook Pro 2018 13" model. It stucks in progress bar and can't upgrade. I even can't enter my Mac beta 4. It shows apple.com/support-1008F when I enters to Recovery Mode. Seeking for help from Apple.

I had the same issue.

I force shut down then restarted the Mac with CMD-R (Macbook Pro 13" i7 / 16 GB / 1 TB) and re-installed macOS.

At the end of this process I have Catalina beta 5 installed :-)

A few notes:

- I had to input my password as if my keyboard had a QWERTY layout (it has actually a French AZERTY), and there was no on-screen indication of the layout used

- I had to manually mount the R/W volume of my primary disk with Disk Utility before installing macOS.

Hope this helps,

Jérôme.

I Have exactly the same message, have you found anything ?

This is what I did with beta 4.

I will now do with beta 5.

And yes, I have the same issue with my French keyboard. 🙂

OK, so booted to Recovery, and had to mount the volumes from Disk Utility.

The installation went fine, machine shuts down.

On reboot, FileVault goes to the infamous ABC keyboard rather than French (bug introduced in beta 3), with weird colors around menus.

Then, it is back to some upgrading again (now for only 15 minutes, so I let it run).

This is seriously weird.

Stuck again for more than 2 hours

I have left it run all night. I’ll see what happened tomorrow Morning. It’s really not good.

Same issue here. I have tried multiple things to try to fix the issue with no luck. I left it on all night and ended up with a message that there was not enough room on the hard drive to install the update. I put the computer into target disk mode and deleted a number of really large files. I tried the install again and it has been hung for the past 2 hours.

My 2019 MBP 15" is doing the same. I have a dual partition setup and have tried clearing pram, went into recovery mode and trying the reinstall the OS now, but its hanging at same spot. I may try reformatting that partition, doing internet recovery and trying again clean.

So, anyone can tell me how to enter the Recovery Mode? I always get apple.com/support-1008F when press Cmd+R or Cmd+Option+R...

After approx. 4 hours, the setup of beta 5 finished. Very odd.

Gives me the impression that it goes through some FileVault "conversion" ?

Would be good to know what triggers such long periods of upgrade, I can't imagine goin to porduction like this !

I'm having the same issue on my 2015 Retina iMac. The install gets stuck after about 3-5 minutes. Always the same steps:

1) Reboot

2) "approximately 32 minutes remaining"

3) "approximately 31 minutes remaining"

4) "estimating remaining time"...

Then the progress bar remains unchanged overnight. Leaving it today all day and will leave it overnight too - so 24 hours.

Have tried rebooting while holding down"

"COMMAND+OPTION+P+R"

"COMMAND+R"

"COMMAND+D"

"COMMAND+R"

"COMMAND+D"

"OPTION+R"

"OPTION+D"

"OPTION+T"

"SHIFT+T"

"SHITF"

None of these have any impact on the installation process, it just boots to apple logo and process bar and gets hung up...

Have friend booting from a bootable external drive as well.

This is maddening, any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can post the followup from Apple.

As I am currently in China, I contacted the Chinese support but they said they didn't have the 1008F code in their database.

Then I sent it to a local authorized repair shop, and just now I was told the motherboard needs to be replaced(covered by warranty).

Yesterday someone found resetting the NVRAM works: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/clt95k/trying_to_internet_restore_my_mac_i_get_this_error/

Can anyone comfirm if this method works? If it works, I am going to the repair shop tommorrow and grabing my laptop back.

Many thanks~!

Good to know ! I think I will wait a bit more to participate in the beta testing of this Catalina !

Trying this morning to install the Catalina upgrade I had a message saying that the verrsion asked was not available... I will stop trying until this bug of installation is resolved !

Thanks.

Yes, I now have such a situation, updated in a circle I do not know what to do?