I can't Empty the Trash

OK, I may have done something stupid, but I need help to get out of the situation

I backed up my users folder, so I could do some cleaning up. I quickly realised that this was the wrong way, so I deleted the folder I had created in the copy process.

Now I have a folder sitting in my Trash, which I cannot get rid of. It contains the folder "Mobile Documents" which is in the users Library folder, and it has about 50 folders in it. No files, just empty folders, some with more empty folders.

When I try to empty my Trash, I get the message that the files are in use.

I have tried a bunch of things;

1) rebooted and tried again,

2) in terminal I used "cd ~/.Trash", and then "rmdir -r FOLDER", but I get the message that it is an illegal option,

3) in terminal I used "lsof" and then dropped the folder in there, but I do not get a list of what app has got the files open,

4) in recovery mode, I ran First Aid.

And nothing has worked, I still cannot get rid of that folder or its contents.

What to do?

Replies

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have iCloud drive turned on? If so then it's been an issue since beta 1. Quick search on here shows a number of posts with people not able to delete trash with synced folders in iCloud.

A few suggestions in other posts but no one has said it worked for them. When the GM comes out it will most likely clear up.

This is what I am hoping. However, I also have a problem on the "data" volume which FirstAid cannot repair, not even in Recovery, and perhaps this is related...