CPU get roasted by iClouddrive

Went to open Xcode today. CPU went to 300% and the list of projects did not appear. Left, came back it was there, picked a project, hung again, CPU at 300 again. After a good half hour it says 'this project was downloaded from the internet do you want to open it?' and it showed a URL pointing to my icloud drive?

Weird cause I was using Xcode fine for some time.

Force quitting Xcode did not stop the icloud craziness. Guess I will boot and see if that helps. Nope. It's transferring a ton of files. I guess it just decided it was time, there's not much new. Total craziness, just bricks the machine, makes it pretty much unusable.

Accepted Reply

Make sure you are saving your projects to a non-internet based location. xcode touches way too many files way too often, and keeps icloud busy trying to manage the sync. I created a non-synced directory in my user folder, and the problem went away.

Replies

Make sure you are saving your projects to a non-internet based location. xcode touches way too many files way too often, and keeps icloud busy trying to manage the sync. I created a non-synced directory in my user folder, and the problem went away.

Thanks, yeah I am an ***** for not realizing that would cause problems but I had my workspaces dir under Documents for years.

On another note, copying away failed because it said a single one of the files was open. Seriously is that we are with simple file management 50 some years into OS practice? Ugh..

I get it. My experience was much the same. the XCode default when i first starting using it was under Documents, and I'd left it there since. I thought the new preview functionality was what was killing my macbook... turned out to be cloudsync and xcode not playing well with each other. I'd say that Xcode's default should likely be changed given this new 'behaviour'... but live and learn i guess.