Catalina Generic Observations

My personal observations. I know this is a beta (alpha really?) and I know things will change for the better (I hope), but some observations from the field.

1. macOS is starting to suffer the same bloat as MS Windows. Features nobody has asked for, ever. I don't have any reason to give my people voicememos, podcasts, tv or anything not work related. Make this stuff optional. A nice checkbox will suffice.

2. Intermittent, random program failures that may or may not be duplicated. Music (yeah, it's on MY private machine) is a prime example. Some time it works, some time it just sits there. A gigantic step backwards from iTunes (which had a number of its own problems)

3. It's SLOW. Let me repeat that, IT'S S-L-O-W. The people I have who are testing this O/S now have Mojave loaded in VMWare so they can get work done in a timely manner.

4. What is with "syncing" iPhone in Finder? Who's brilliant idea was that? I'm going with the same person who thought removing 99% of the functionality from what was a relatively decent (iTunes) program and making it a, to borrow a British term a doggies dinner.

5. LIke everyone else, I'm waiting for the third macOS iteration in 2.5 years. It sure will be nice when it's 65% functional.

Replies

Agree with all of that, and would like to add another one:

6.- What about those popups continuoslly opening to ask for permission for really simple stuff? Like when you open Terminal and type "cd ~/Downloads" and one opens to ask for permission to read from Downloads folder..., hilarious.., for god sake, I typed that!

Seriouslly..., macOS is starting to remind me of Windows Vista....., really sad 😟 😟

Exactly, when I give an employee this machine, I don't want them connecting their iphone, messages, and all the personal stuff on the computer. Also, I get this is a beta but why do all Apple betas feel like a step back? Like performance and functionality are severely worse.

How is this possible? You aren't starting from scratch, you're actually building off an existing operating system (that hasn't really changed since inception) and just removing the 32-bit code and replacing it with supposed more efficient 64-bit code.

Adding all this iOS crap is going to severely degrade the experience. I guess I am just old fashioned but to me, the App store killed software development. It's so easy, anyone can stand up and push out a crap app without any thought. The store is littered with cheap junk.

What happened to real programs, written by real developers? Quality code, that is well thought out in function and form. Everything is turning into this "lite" web based junk.

Quote: What happened to real programs, written by real developers? Quality code, that is well thought out in function and form. Everything is turning into this "lite" web based junk. /QUOTE

If it doesn't involve "selfies", social media, or texting, it doesn't seem to exist any more. When all of your life is centered around "me", anything that involves considering the real world is just too much work. 😠

Hi,

Not to be rude, but you started with the statement that you understand this is a beta and then proceeded to list as your observations a collection of things that, for the most part, are issues that you really should expect to see in an early beta version of an operating system.

Intermittant failures, speed issues, functionality that is reduced relative to what you are used to in previous versions of the OS? These are par for the beta release course, IMHO.

Again, I don't mean to attack you by any means, I would also love for the new OS to be complete and released, but this is an early beta. It is not intended to be used in the same way, for the same things, as a final release version of an OS.

I take no exception to commenting on feature changes of pre-release software. There is always a need to identify real issues, even if they are not completely technical. But I think performance issues are something we all know are going to change.

You're not attacking, you'll note I said observations. The inclusion or 300 unwanted and unnecessary programs that interfere with my people getting work done is an observationl. Someone is going to have to decide eventually if Apple is going to be the millenial's new toy or a serious instrument to perform serious work. (How about two versions of the O/S? One without all the IOS geegaws for people who actually use the system to perform serious work with aond one with all the bloatware?) I then proceeded to list problems that I have observed while running the alpha...erm berta.This is the tird iteration of the beta some of those problems have existed since day 1 and don't appear to have been addressed. Others are intermittent and need to be addressed.All of these are problems, hitches,observatons that might not have been noted by the O/S creators. As this is really a forum reporting on fads and foibles of the proposed O/S, I'm reasonably certain someone would like those tidbits of information.

(as a side note, I have been beta testing since IBM DOS 2.0. I tend to give lots of chances for things to be corrected and/or improved before saying somehing about what I usually consider minor issues. Once or twice? I'll ignore it, after that? Well, I did create that original post). 😁

It's not about performance, it's about the inclusion of new features that even Windows decided to remove.., like the popup nightmare I mention above...

At the end it's about the way Apple is taking...,if they found it. I guess it's all about money and ROI.., and it comes from mobile apps and phones. I still remember when Steve said "who wants a pencil? puaj..." now we've got one.., next step? a touch screen on macbooks? 😐

We're talking here about next release of the most advanced end user operating system around..., and I'm afraid it's becoming another thing... You can see that even at the deepest level, like when they decided to create an "user space api" for kernel calls with a couple of API calls not enough for most apps around because..., uhh, "kext are bad", "lot of bad people around", uhh.., at the end.. politics of fear in order to control what users can do with their "cheap" machines, because the target has changed I'm afraid 😟.

In any case, as a developer, I'll continue to use macOS for as long as there is not anything better around.., and I guess we're still far from there.

"3. It's SLOW. Let me repeat that, IT'S S-L-O-W. The people I have who are testing this O/S now have Mojave loaded in VMWare so they can get work done in a timely manner."

Sorry but it's impossible for a VM to run faster than the OS it's installed on.

I run 10.14 Mojave in a VM. I run 10.15 natively. 10.15 is S-L-O-W. VMWare does not support the Catalina Beta. If you have it (the beta) running under VMWare, pleases share how you managed to accomplish that. There are a lot of people here who would like to be able to do so. Incidentally, where did you get the idea I'm running it in a virtual machine? Here is the direct quote from my initial posting: "The people I have who are testing this O/S now have Mojave loaded in VMWare so they can get work done in a timely manner." You'll note I said MOJAVE not Catalina. (Oh, waitaminnit, you're up the same horrible hour I am. No wonder. This is why I never post anything until after the second cup of coffee...😁 )