Custom hdd icons in Catalina?

Anyone know how to change the HDD icons short of disabling SIP? Catalina does not allow my external drive icon to be changed in the Get Info window. Would not have thought the read-only system would impact an external drive. Getting plain white page icons that have no indication it is a HDD. System is not using the custom icon set in Mojave. As a use with many drives attached to my productive system I want to be able to differentiate them by custom icons.

Replies

Custom icons are clearly broken.

The thrill is gone, baby!

--> Update: in the late betas and the release custom icons work if set from another booted system. I always have multiple boots. Booting Mojave I can paste custom icons and they show on Catalina after reboot. I did this a while back so I do not remember whether it required SIP disabled for the paste. I normally ALWAYS run with SIP enabled.

1. *Temporarily* disable SIP from Recovery Mode (⌘R) > Terminal > 'csrutil disable' > 'reboot'

2. Terminal > 'sudo mount -uw /' > 'killall Finder', make desired changes > Restart… > Recovery (⌘R) > Terminal > 'csrutil enable' ( ← this *re-enables* SIP : ) > 'reboot'

3. Profit.

didn't work for me. I have my MBP tethered to my iMac and the MBP icon shows just the sstandard icon, not the one set on the MBP. Yr workaround didn't do the job for me.

Did anyone figure out how to change disk icons in Catalina, or is the solution really to diable SIP and do it?

Disabling SIP aint a solution, either...

Disable SIP and boot into another OS to paste from there.