Can't select other APFS volume when installing macOS beta 10.15

I have created a separate APFS volume for the beta of macOS 10.15

Apple Instructions: "To install a beta (prerelease) version of macOS, enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program and follow the installation instructions on the program website."

On the program website, the only option is to "Download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility".

Apple Instructions: "When the installer opens and you're asked to choose where to install, click Show All Disks, then select the new volume." However, this does not happen - the installer does not give an option to select the target volume, only to install on my main (Mojave) volume, which I don't want to do. It skips straight over "Destination Select".

Whatsmore, it reports "No Time Machine backup detected" despite Time Machine running normally.

Has anyone experience this when trying to install on a separate volume?

Replies

I've been able to launch the installer for beta 2 from a Mojave volume and select another APFS-formatted volume as the target (both an empty volume and one containing Mojave) - but the target volume was in a separate container. The installer has refused (on each of half a dozen tries) to reboot for completion of the installation process. An initial attempt to run the installer from a Mojave volume and target a separate volume containing beta 1 showed that volume in the targets list but refused to allow selecting it.

I've given up on the beta 2 installer (especially given more than a few reports of stability problems with installations which were successful) - SwiftUI must wait until at least the next beta. System 7 with a collection of the most unstable Desk Accessories was more usable than this :-(

Sorry to hear you are having problems. In my case it seemed to be simply because there was no OS on my new volume. Schoolboy error but there you go.

The following steps got it working:

1. Installed Mojave on the new volume
  2. Chose the macOS 10.15 volume as Startup Disk from System Preferences
  3. Downloaded the macOS public beta access utility and ran it from the macOS 10.15 Volume
  4. Restart. Upgraded to Catalina via Software Update on the macOS 10.15 volume
  5. Installed XCode 11 beta

Then it worked fine.

I hope you can get it going.