About This Mac has storage calculated wrong!!

Ok I'm having the problem where About This Mac says I have very little storage. That is not the case. I am confident have at least 60% of my 250 GB drive empty. I deleted all unneccassry files larger than 2GB and emptied the trash. It says I have only 10GB available!! It's causing me not to be able to install Xcode 11. I have tried all the tips on the Internet and nothing solves the problem. What can I do? I have tried the following in terminal and rebooted but the problem still remains.

sudo mdutil -i off /

sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*

sudo mdutil -i on /

sudo mdutil -E /

Accepted Reply

I found the answer in another thread and it resolved the problem:

Try the following commands:

1. tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
  2. tmutil listlocalsnapshots /System/Volumes/Data

It seems like those hidden Time Machine snapshots are stored in different locations due to the system partition change.

CAUTION: delete them using

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots <snapshot_date>

Replies

I'm having the same issue at the moment and not having any luck either! Don't suppose the Disk Utility has got the SSD split into 2 parts with one named with the suffix "Data"?

So upon a bit of further research in these form apparently giving a clear of the timemachine snapshots frees up a lot of space if you want to try that?

In terminal I typed and returned tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

It only returned back to me ONE snapshot

com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-06-04-151840.local (dataless)

Is this the backup I performed just recently? What happens if I delete the one and only snapshot?

I found the answer in another thread and it resolved the problem:

Try the following commands:

1. tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
  2. tmutil listlocalsnapshots /System/Volumes/Data

It seems like those hidden Time Machine snapshots are stored in different locations due to the system partition change.

CAUTION: delete them using

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots <snapshot_date>

It seems a bug already reported it