Completely bricked

Install the Beta on my iMac, restart, then it got stucked with the progress bar at 90% and the spinning wheel stoped.

It now can only boot in safe mode.

There is no Recovery Mode available.

There is no Internet Recovery as well.

There is no access to Startup Manager too.

All I get was a blank black screen. No Apple Logo nothing.

I even tried holding the option key for more than 15 minutes.

However, there must be something running in the background as the vent was still expelling hot air.

So now there is no way to roll back to Mojave. Tough luck I guess.

Accepted Reply

I had a similar issue.

I could log in then it stopped on the loading screen.

Reboot to safe mode by holding down the shift key while it boots. Navigate to library>extensions and move all the files in there out to another location.

Worked for me, now the machine feels very snappy.

Replies

Can't help but wonder if this is a 32bit issue - did you happen to check to see if any of those moved extentions are 32 bit?

I ran through the System Report and got rid of anything that was 32bit, and am trying the installation on a machine that isn't crucial now.

Fingers crossed.

I Installed on 21"2013 imac had no problems with instalation but I have found this release very unstable and within tv app it is difficult to find shows and movies and a lot of the links unresponsive. It was nice to use as a look'se Fourtunatly thats a machine that dosent get much use. Do not install this version on any front line machine. As i have said before the first beta after the WDC is not a beta but an Alpha release.

D3GGY solution works. I simply renamed the Extensions folder to something else and created a blank Extensions folder. 👍

What can I do if my computer doesn’t go into safe mode and only access recovery. I’ve even tried reinstalling the os but it tells me that my storage is all of a sudden full and I don’t have access to anything to delete some things off my storage. What else can I do ?

2017 MacBookAir - (8GB/128GB dev machine) is Working Fine (So far) still need to fully test it out this week to put it through all of my apps and devices Side Car is not working with my MBA & thr 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro, I am really liking the MacOS 10.15 GUI changes and the updated apps, but after seeing all the above MBP and MM getting bricked, I am glad my MacBookAir works

I've lost 3 man days with no Mac thanks to this issue - worked for me - like a new machine, Thanks for your solution.

I can also confirm this problem on my mid-2014 MacBook Pro after installing 10.15 over 10.14. During a normal boot the progress bar would get up to about 75% and get stuck there. Safe Boot worked properly.

Tried everything I could think of myself first, then found the solution offered here by D3GGY and it worked perfectly.

In my case, I moved the files from /Library/Extensions/*.kext into a temporary directory just in case I wanted to put them back. The system wouldn't let me move something called AppleMobileDevice.kext (I got a permission denied message even when using sudo). That's the only thing left in the Extensions directory now.

Over the past hour I've been testing my usual daily apps and workflows and everything is operating normally. Computer feels snappy and the temperature is normal. I was concerned that apps wouldn't work without those files, but no problem so far.