"Running <playground-name>", "Launching simulator", and freezing issues

Hello,

I am learning how to use Xcode and Swift with online tutorials, using Xcode 9.3. However, after about 15 minutes of adding code in a playground, I either get a"Running <file-name>" or "Launching simulator" notification at the top that never fully loads and requires restarting my computer to get the debugger back up and running, or Xcode doesn't respond, requiring me to restart the program. I don't think I'm doing anything that should be taxing on my system (8 GB memory, macOS 10.13.4) and have more than enough storage space. In the app store, users are commenting that it's a problem with the current version of the application, Xcode 9. Is there any solution for the current version that would have it running smoothly?

Thanks.

Replies

a) Xcode 9.3 Release Notes say this about that:

"Simulator

Known Issues

On macOS 10.13.4, booting iOS 11 and later in the Simulator may take several minutes the first time. (35628711)"

b) 8GB ram really isn't your friend - max it if at all possible.

i am copletely new to Xcode, and I have been facing the same problem, but now it seems to be working better, just do the following:

- In the lower left side of the playground there is the Play/Stop button.

- Hold press on the button and two options will appear (Automatically Run & Manually Run)

- Select Manually Run

- Press the play button only after you are done typing the syntax and ready to test your code

This seems to decrease the load on my processor and it stopped freezing since.

Good Luck

Hi everyone,

i hve the same problem, tryng lo learn to use xcode with app developer payground (from Apple).

But is impossible to use...

continuing to stuck and show:

(spinning circle) Launcing simulator

or

(spinning cicle) Running "file_name"

but no results showing....

how can i fix it?

Thanks

Hi guys

I have been having the same problems, along with many other xcode problems. I am wondering if it is specific to a type of computer. I am running a late 2015 iMac. Could you all put down what computer you are using.

For info, I have been having various major problems with all versions of x code since I started using it about 9 months ago. So it has included 9.0 - 9.3, and all the macOs updates since then. See my posts under 'X code 9.3 Multiple problems' and 'Multiple problems with x code, is it the Mac?'

Thanks

Geoff

Me too.. Only the Playground have problems. The Xcode works ok with Simulator. But when i try to work with playground, it staying launching for ever .and get the message :

layground execution failed:

error: Couldn't lookup symbols:

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftCoreGraphics

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftCoreFoundation

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftDarwin

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftCoreImage

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftDispatch

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftMetal

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftFoundation

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftObjectiveC

__swift_FORCE_LOAD_$_swiftUIKit

_playground_log_hidden