3 Replies
      Latest reply: Apr 12, 2018 12:18 AM by cujo30227 RSS
      cujo30227 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

Since iOS11.3 I'm getting a significant number of new crash reports from my AR measurement app.

The crash description says:

Exception Type: SIGABRT

Exception Codes: #0 at 0x181b112ec

Crashed Thread: 0

Application Specific Information: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'std::invalid_argument', reason: 'extrinsicTransform must have determinant 1.'

The crash is triggered by this line in my code, which is called on didUpdateFrame

NSArray<ARHitTestResult *> *resultArray = [_arsnView hitTest:position types:ARHitTestResultTypeExistingPlaneUsingExtent | ARHitTestResultTypeEstimatedHorizontalPlane];

According to the crash reporting, it happens to about 10% of the sessions (!!!!). Before iOS11.3, I had <0.1% crashes.

I tried feeding the hitTest with different values for position, including NaN etc, but I'm not able to reproduce the crash.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

• Re: ARKit crashing in iOS11.3
          philh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We are also seeing:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'std::invalid_argument', reason: 'extrinsicTransform must have determinant 1.'

in our app as well, and only with iOS 11.3.

3ZS Apple Staff Apple Staff (70 points)

This looks like a symptom of hit testing when the tracking state is bad.

This can occur when you perform a hit test and the ARCamera’s tracking state is either .notAvailable or .limited.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/arcamera.trackingstate

The best practice is to simply not hit test when in either of those tracking states.

cujo30227 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, it is indeed related to the trackingState. I can confirm that the crash is gone when first performing a check on the trackingState, e.g.:

if (_arsnView.session.currentFrame.camera.trackingState!=ARTrackingStateNormal)
                      {
                           // do not perform hitTest
                      }
                      else
                      {
                           // perform hitTest
                      }

In this example, _arsnView is a property from class ARSCNView