Issues with promo codes, iPhone & iPad, unlocking IAPs.

I changed an app from paid to free with in-app purchase. I implemented a mechanism that should have given paid users access to the IAP but it didn't work for everyone. Now I am using promo codes to restore the premium features IAP for those who purchased the paid version.

Several users told me their promo codes worked on their phone, but not on their iPad. Is there a way to get one promo code to work on both?

I sent an additional promo code to users with iPhones & iPads. Some user told me that when they tried to redeem the 2nd promo code on their iPad, they received a message saying they had already bought the app. However, premium features still didn't unlock.

Does anybody have a solution?

Replies

Create a new version of the app that detects the original_application_version in the app receipt and use that to identify the earlier purchasers.

You can decode the receipt either on board or by sending it to the Apple servers.

The original_application_version is the "Build number"

I'm having possibly the same issue with my users unable to redeem IAP promo codes. Is it an issue with the code or is it an issue with Apple, or users going through the wrong steps?

https://www.innerfence.com/howto/redeem-free-promo-code-for-iphone-app-from-iphone-or-itunes

This is the instruction link i sent out. Thanks for any quick advice.