Achievements and scores only posting for iPhone

My game started out as being for iPhone only. It has since been updated to be a universal app for iPad as well. I have noticed though that when playing, it will not submit achievements or update scores. Even though the same exact code runs (no conditional compilation).

I blew it off at the time assuming that perhaps Game Center was down. I've just wrapped up development of a tvOS version of the game which shares the same app identifier. It works with Game Center as well, but the same issue happens; no achievements are being submitted and scores not updated. If I then play the game on my iPhone, it updates things as expected.

I looked in itunes.connect.com to see if there were any device-specific settings, but cannot find any.

Anyone else seeing this?

Replies

Something is indeed device-specific. After debugging the app on tvOS, it is submitting scores and achievements a-ok. However, Game Center is keeping track of separate values for each device type. So since the iPhone version was done first, users racked up scores and achievements just on that device. So for one of my particular scores, on iPhone it sits at 1,056. But on tvOS, after playing two games, the scores were 127 and 156 respectively.

Thus, I believe the very first time the game was played on an iPad or AppleTV, all scores were zero. Even though I'm signed in to the same exact GC account. This is unfortunate as it shouldn't matter what device the user plays on. Anyone know why GC may be keeping separate counts per each device type?

Appears to be my fault. I just looked at the original Objective-C code and see I never did wire up the 'reloadScores' function. As that was ultimately dead code, I never ported it to the swift version. Thus, since saved game data files are unique per device, that's why the iPad and AppleTV versions started at zero.

Once I properly reload the scores from the active GameCenter account and save them to the local device's game data, all should be well.