simulator views versus actual device views

I developed an app which displayed fine on my iphone 6S plus and my Ipad pros. I sent a Test Flight out to my partner and the test flight did not display correctly on his iPhone 6 plus. Next I checked the simulator for a 6S plus and the landscape view for my main page was not correct even though it ws rendering correctly on my test flight version on my iphone 6S plus. The simulator works fine in displaying the simulated iphone x views. This should be the same size class of the 6s plus and the 6s.

Since I do not have access to every model of iphone and ipad this makes a big problem in making sure my views are correct in all orientations. Further, since size classes are the norm in interface builder if I fiddle with the layout to get the simulator to work with an iphone 6 plus I wonder what happens to all the other views in the same size class as I can only vary layout by size class.

I am using xcode 9.2. Hopefully this problem will be fixed in the next release of X-Code.

Replies

>> Next I checked the simulator for a 6S plus and the landscape view for my main page was not correct even though it ws rendering correctly on my test flight version on my iphone 6S plus.

I think the next step is to try to narrow down what went wrong in the simulator. Is this purely an auto-layout issue? Is it an image resolution issue? Note that you can use the view debugger in Xcode to see all your views represented as separate "objects", which might help find which part of the view was wrong.

I understand not having every device, but want to recommend against trying to troubleshoot issues like this based on their performance. I'd just use a simulator as a general means of testing your UI/app flow, ignoring it for layout fine-tuning, only drawing actionable conclusions from what happens on an actual device.

Let your TF user continue to help.

1. It is becomming obvious to me that size classes are only part of the interface builders formating control. Setting up a storyboard for iPhoneX does not insure a reasonable layout for others with the same size classes.

2. One question is do I need to check and maybe modify the layout for each of the 8 devices that show up below the storyboard for both orientations.

3. The next question is if I select the Vary for Traits button does IB change the layout for all devices with similar size classes. For example if I select iPhone X and select the height to vary by and then lower a title at the top will it lower the title on an Ipad which has the same height size class. It says varying 26 Regular height devices.Or if I select both height and width, what other devices will this impact. It says varying 16 Compact Width and Regular Height Devices. If I do my layout for the iPhone X with vary by trait selected will all my layouts for these 16 devices be correct?

4. Does this leads to having to have one of each device to fine tune layouts. For indie developers in small markets this is not reasoable. I may upgrade my iPhone 6S Plus to one of the iPhone versions to be released this fall, but in the mean time I will just keep using my iPhone 6S Plus along with my ipad pro.