macOS: Capture system/speaker audio

I'm working on an application for publication on the Mac App Store that has a screen sharing feature that is suppose to share both audio and video. We can easily enough capture video using builtin sdk functionality, but have yet to find a satisfactory solution for capturing audio; and there doesn't appear to be an existing solution in any of the sdk's without the use of a third party tool like soundflower.

So my question is, is there some sdk I've missed that provides this type of support? Or, is it possible to write our own audio capturing, that runs in the context of our application not as a kernel extension, using the AUHAL and CoreAudio sdk? And, is this type of functionality is permitted for App store publication?

Replies

HI cgoolbis,

we've recently written a tool which is capable of doing what you described, and I can tell you there is no API you missed, except implementing your own virtual audio hardware. However, we've encapsulated the (for you relevant) part in a framework and are planning to release this framework as an an open source project in the next few months as soon as it reached a stable state.

So depending on your timeline, this might be an option for you, but I cant make any promises for when it will be available. My guess is May, but no promises.

Cheers,

Max

Hi Max, have you released the framework yet? This sounds like exactly what I need...