Lost my Xcode files.

1. I moved the my project from the Mac screen into All My Files, Finder. I can't find anything in All My Files. But I found the project in Documents(previously in Desktop).

2. I opened the project, I found out that some file names are in red but others are in black. I tried moving the project from Documents to Desktop. Still the same. I clicked on the red name, and select "Show File Inspector". I followed the path but can't find the files

3. Other info, I found out that the path of the files which lost are in Documents while the path of the files which don't lost are in Desktop.

Is thare anyway to fix it? I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone please lend me a hand. Thanks.

Replies

How many files are you talking about?

You can try to fix it if all the files are still on your drive by repairing the paths, file by file, in the project. Or, look at the paths in Xcode and try to move the files back into their original locations.

The best way, tho, is to use a backup to restore those project folders, especially if the files are truly lost/gone/deleted/whatever.

Next time, decide where you want to keep your projects first, and then don't move them. The more you move them, the more work it is to try to 'fix' their paths.

This sounds like the scary thing that happens when you move your desktop into iCloud, on a second Mac that hasn't moved yet. The old local files get moved to a separate folder, which looks a lot like files disappearing. But they're not gone, just in another folder.

Depending on the sequence of events, I can see that this might mess up file paths in Xcode, since folders got moved around. You should be able to manually manually fix the desktop structure so that it's the same as before, and then maybe the Xcode references will fix themselves.

This may not be what happened in your case, but it's just a thought.

Anyone please help?