Detecting gpu memory usage

In the application i'm working on we're streaming a lot of texture data. I'm currently working on removing OpenGL pipeline bubbles, as part of this effort i want to make sure i'm not reusing a texture for uploading data while that texture is still being used for rendering by the gpu. When i need a texture to upload data to i've got the case where the texture is still in use. In this case i want to create a new texture, but only if there's plenty free vram memory available.

To get the amount of available texture memory i need to know the maximum amount of memory and the currently used amount of memory.

The OpenGL driver doesn't implement the GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info extension, so i need to use native functions to detect it.

The maximum amount of memory i'm retreiving using the example code described in https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1168/_index.html

Retreiving the current amount of used/free memory seems to be an undocumented feature. I did manage to extract some information from the registry by finding a kIOAcceleratorClassName service connected to the brootstrap_port. These services contain a PerformanceStatistics dictionary with a vramFreeBytes member.

This works in most cases, but now i want to run on a machine containing multiple gpu's. For example an integrated intel in combination with one dedicated gpu.

In this case i need to make sure i'm getting the information from the right device. I tried using the rendererID for this, but i did not manage to match my context's rendererID to that of the service.

To get my context's id i do this:

NSOpenGLPixelFormat* pixelFormat = [[NSOpenGLContext currentContext] pixelFormat];

[pixelFormat getValues:&rendererID forAttribute:NSOpenGLPFARendererID forVirtualScreen:virtualScreen];

Then to get the accelerator service's rendererID i do this:

CFDataRef ridRef = (CFDataRef)CFDictionaryGetValue( properties, CFSTR( "IOVARendererID" ) );

const GLint* ridBytes = (const GLint*)CFDataGetBytePtr( ridRef );

Is there a way to match these rendererID's? Or any other way to get the currently available texture vram?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of MennoResolume Down vote post of MennoResolume
1.2k views