How let teacher unlock app content for students

I’m thinking about developing an educational app, where I want a teacher (or institution) to be able to buy a class license (I’m thinking through my website) for the content and then the students in their class to be able to download the app for free and then unlock the content. Is this possible? It seems like it would be permitted by rule 3.1.3 but I can’t figure out how I could get it passed rule 3.1.4. Any ideas? Is this a dead end? The content would be purchaseable with an IAP as well, but I can’t rely on the students to buy it for them selves, the teacher must be able to buy the class license for them.

Replies

Apple has an edu volume purchas program, but I think it is for colleges only. The institution buys a block of redeem codes that are then distributed to students who use them to download your app from the store.

See VPP For Education

Either you are operating under 3.1.3 or you are not. If you are, then you are not "unlock(ing) content or functionality" when teacher hands a content code to the student.

But if you wish to use IAP then you have two choices - 1) you can sell a consumable IAP to the teacher in quantity X and let the teacher use each of those consumables (all X of them) to download the content to a different student. You could sell the consumables in packages of 10 or 20 at a discount. Or 2) you could sell a class license and keep track yourself of how many the teacher downloads.

If your question is 'how do I do the transfer' - there are many ways. You could create an email link that the teacher emails to the students. You could use MCSession and transfer it via Bluetooth or WiFi. You could use a link to a CloudKit record. You could print out an authorization code.