Apps that will discount user subscription based on their activities.

I am thinking of building an app where I will provide some services to users, and users use the services when they are under subscription.

I want to be able to reward user when they did what I want them to do, by providing, for example 50% off from their subscription for the period(every week). This is something I cannot do currently, because there seems to be no sdk support at all.

Question is, is it possible to let user pay through external payment? Once they subscribe, and login, my app would treat them as if they are subscribed from itunes, only i am now able to discount my user.

I understand I am not allowed to provide any link or button to the external payment, what about just a text asking user to search on the web?

Replies

I just realized my first question is kinda like spotify or youtube red, where you make your subscription somewhere else, and still be able to use the ios app as a subscribed user. So i am guess this is OK? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Still, second question: what is allowed to show in the app? Text to ask user to search the app with a search engine, is that OK?

You cannot unlock code in an app using anything other than IAP. YOu can operate as a reader app - described in the guidelines 3.1.3. You can create two identical IAPs with different prices. Normally you would show the user the higher priced IAP. If the user does certain things within the app (not outside of the app) then you can show them the lower priced IAP.

Thanks for the explaination.

So spotify is classified as a reader app? Their premium feature is locked unless you subscribe, but you can subscribe with spotify directly instead of through IAP.

Two IAP does not work for me because what i want is subscription, like weekly. And if for current week i want to reward user, i can apply discount on current week's subscription. As i understand, this is not possible through what is currently available.

>So spotify is classified as a reader app?

Perhaps it is. You are welcome to contact Apple and complain if you think it is not.

If you want more flexibility in your subscription then switch to a non-renewable subscription. You can extend the expiration date of a non-renewable subscription based on your 'reward' system.