iCloud syncing and All Photos Album order

Hi

My 'All photos' album on my phone and on my icloud account are all of a suuden out of date order, they had been fine fr the past few days from returning away but now not so much (althought they are fine in photos/collections) I undertand this this is due to when they are sync and are uploaded to the cloud however I find this a realy basic and ridiculous flaw - surely once they are in the cloud it should be simple enough for the 'All Photos' album to be set in date order and for them to be reordered to when the photo was actually taken?

I have been travelling so must have haad some photos that missed being uploaded so now i have over 100 photos completely out of date order and as some who likes order finds this extrmemyl iratating.

Could a developer explain why this is how icloud works as it really doenst make sense for me as a user.

Replies

Hi,

This is a consumer problem rather than a developer one I guess, but feel free to fill a bug report or an enhancement request for this.

If there are sync problem, maybe you should contact Apple Support, and have engineers fix your iCloud Library (there is a chance that it may not pass all Health Check, in which case you get some troubles that get worse with time).

Now, regarding the order, Apple has decided to go the rather weird way of using the "File Modify Date" exif data rather than "Created Date".

I can understand that it's to avoid problems when people save online pictures/images to their library, that might have their exifs stripped, but a weird decision anyway.

If you're really unhappy about it, and you're an advanced user (meaning who understands exifs and can use Terminal), you may try "exiftools" (google it) and batch change photos exifts. The idea is to override the "MetadataDate", "ModifyDate" and "FileModifyDate" with the value from "CreateDate" (or "DateCreated" if the other one is not available).

Do this when Photos app is closed on your computer, relaunching it would have the photos updating in All Photos as well, wait for the change to be propagated to iCloud.