Add a new language

Hi,

My app is already published but I need to change the primary language from English to Polish.

Unfortunately Polish is not an option in the dropdown menu on iTunesConnect.

On the internet I read that I have to add the new language in xCode and then upload the new build to iTunesConnect.

I searched for a long time now but I cant find a good instruction on how to do this properly and I guess I cant test it before it will be accepted by the review team.

Could you please explain me how to change the language in iTunesConnect from English to Polish for the app?

What I did so far:

In xCode project settings under "info" I added the key "Localizations" and to this key I added the value "Polish".

Polish was here again not available in the dropdown menu so I had to write it myself. Here is the problem: Which format should I use? (Polish, pl, Polski?)

Now I have English and Polish as values for the key "Localizations". (My goal is to display in the store only Polish for this app)

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Fabian

Accepted Reply

I can’t speak to iTunes Connect but the best way to add a new localisation to your project in Xcode is via the project editor:

1. In the project navigator (View > Navigator > Show Project Navigator), select your project at the top.

2. In the editor displayed, select your project at the top of the list on the left.

3. Switch to the Info tab.

4. In the Localizations slice, press the add (+) button and select Polish from the list.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

I can’t speak to iTunes Connect but the best way to add a new localisation to your project in Xcode is via the project editor:

1. In the project navigator (View > Navigator > Show Project Navigator), select your project at the top.

2. In the editor displayed, select your project at the top of the list on the left.

3. Switch to the Info tab.

4. In the Localizations slice, press the add (+) button and select Polish from the list.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Ok, the "Localizations" is not listed there by default so I had to add the key before (or did you mean "Localization native development region"?).

But either way the problem is, that is not available in the list 😟

The first "item 0" is English by default. So my goal is to achieve only language Polish which will be the only one language displayed in the iTunes store for this app.

Thanks a lot

Best regards

fab

Here is a screenshot from my xCode:

https://ibb.co/jhC0cc

Thanks a lot

best regards

fabian

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, how to set the development language :

h ttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/25871815/changing-the-development-language-in-xcode

Here is a screenshot from my xCode:

Thanks for that. You seems to be editing the localisations in the property list editor. That’s not what I’m suggesting. Take a look at the steps I posted yesterday; I’m not using the property list editor but rather the project editor.

btw It seems that the property list editor hasn’t been updated to show localisations in the standard way, which is why Polish isn’t show up there. That’s definitely bugworthy. The property list editor and the project editor should be in sync here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Sorry you're right - it was my bad 😟

It's now how it supposed to be 🙂 Thanks a lot for your help

Best regards

fab

How is this done in XCode 10?

If you could describe the steps to take a basic iOS Swift Master-Detail App created in XCode 10 and without adding anything, just describe how to add one additional language (like US Spanish) to the existing English default here in the US.

As far as I can see, on the storyboard, that should only produce 3 words/strings to localize: "Master", "Detail", & "Title" and the label text "Detail view content goes here".

If you could provide this information I should hopefully be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong in my App that has very few words to localize in several languages.

Please and thank you.

1. Start with Xcode 10.b5 on macOS 10.13.6.

2. Choose File > New Project and select iOS > Master-Detail App.

3. In the Project navigator, select the project at the top.

4. in the Project editor, select the project on the left.

5. Switch to Info tab.

6. In the Localizations slice, click the Add (+) button and choose Other > Spanish (United States).

7. In the resulting sheet, deselect

LaunchScreen.storyboard
    (launch screens are not meant to be localised) and click Finish. Launch screens are not localisable.
  8. In the Project navigator there’s a disclosure triangle next to

Main.storyboard
    . If you open that you see.
    • Main.storyboard (Base)
      , which is the original storyboard, presumably localised to your development region.
    • Main.strings (Spanish (United States))
      , which is a
      .strings
      file where you can add your US Spanish localised strings.

The content I see in

Main.strings (Spanish (United States))
looks like this:
/* Class = "UILabel"; text = "Detail view content goes here"; ObjectID = "0XM-y9-sOw"; */
"0XM-y9-sOw.text" = "Detail view content goes here";

/* Class = "UITableViewController"; title = "Master"; ObjectID = "7bK-jq-Zjz"; */
"7bK-jq-Zjz.title" = "Master";

/* Class = "UILabel"; text = "Title"; ObjectID = "Arm-wq-HPj"; */
"Arm-wq-HPj.text" = "Title";

/* Class = "UIViewController"; title = "Detail"; ObjectID = "JEX-9P-axG"; */
"JEX-9P-axG.title" = "Detail";

/* Class = "UINavigationController"; title = "Master"; ObjectID = "RMx-3f-FxP"; */
"RMx-3f-FxP.title" = "Master";

/* Class = "UINavigationItem"; title = "Master"; ObjectID = "Zdf-7t-Un8"; */
"Zdf-7t-Un8.title" = "Master";

/* Class = "UINavigationItem"; title = "Detail"; ObjectID = "mOI-FS-AaM"; */
"mOI-FS-AaM.title" = "Detail";

You can use the

ObjectID
property to map back to the corresponding object in the storyboard by entering that ID into the Find navigator.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”