Xcode 9.2 comment folding.

Hello everyone.

I am running High Sierra V.10.13.2

Xcode 9.2 (9C40b)

I used to be able to fold my comments at the end of each line of code /* like so */.

Now, I can't. I googled around the internet and found out that nobody can. I find this hard to accept. I need comments to explain what the code does so when I look back I understand what I did and because of that I LOVE commenting. However, sometimes I want to fold that sea of comments so I can focus on the code itself.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel with this problem? Any opinions?

JR

Replies

I reinstaled 8.3.3, folding works like a charm.

For Swift, XCode 9.2

In Editor menu, you have a code folding item, where you can select what to fold.

Works pretty well for me.

Hello m.w.h.

So you reinstaled an older version of Xcode? Have I got that straight. I will if I have to, but having an older version of Xcode could cause problems of its own.

JR

Good day Caude31.

I don't know Swift. I only know Objective C (which I hope won't become obsolete). Is there any way to get comment folding for this older language?

JR

Sorry, don't develop in objc. But it's not an old language, still very active.

There were other thrads about this issue, you could search the forum for "folding". Such as

h ttps://forums.developer.apple.com/message/232926#232926

Hello Claude31.

I'm happy that Obj.C will be around for a while. I have bad fantasies that Apple will capriciously announce that 'Obj.C is now obsolete, sorry chump'.

This all begs the question; why DID Apple introduce Swift anyways? Why 2 languages? I have wondered about that since its beginning. Any opinons on that? From ANYBODY!

As for your link, I went to that thread and its various suggestions were put forth but none of them worked for me. That is unfortunate because I need commenting and yet I like to focus on just the code itself sometimes. I hope Apple is aware of this problem and plans to solve it soon.

JR