Exported XLIFF missing existing Localizable.strings translations

I'm not sure if this is user error, if there's something else happening here, or if this is the expected behavior.

I've got an app that we've translated into Japanese. The in-code localized strings are handled using the NSLocalizedString(_ key:, value:, comment:) function without a base langauge version of Localizable.strings.

The XLIFF we submitted had the synthesized Localizable.strings values and the translated version we received back was fully popuplated. Importing that XLIFF created the Japanese version of Localizable.strings (this is our only translation at this point, so this is the only version of the file we've got.

Now, when I try re-exporting the Japanese translation (to pick up new strings, etc), the exported XLIFF doesn't contain the existing translations for Japanese. Every entry in the Localizable.strings section is untranslated. As far as I can tell, evey other file's section contains the current translations.

I wasn't expecting that and it seems like I'd be requesting unnecessary translations from the localizers.

Tool-wise, I'm on Xcode 9.2 and macOS 10.13.3

Accepted Reply

Actually, just grabbed Xcode 9.3 beta 2 and the export includes the translated Localizable.string entries. So, I guess it was a bug and has been fixed.

Replies

Actually, just grabbed Xcode 9.3 beta 2 and the export includes the translated Localizable.string entries. So, I guess it was a bug and has been fixed.