App Crashing UITextField

I have an iPad App which is written in Swift 1.2 using XCode 6.4.

It has been available on the App Store since 2015, and has been downloaded numerous times.

My users have been very happy with it, and it has been running without any problems on iOS 8 , 9, 10 and 11, as far as iOS 11.2.2.

However immediately after users upgraded to iOS 11.2.5 I started getting calls about the App crashing.

I have discovered that these crashes occur at random times, but always after segeuing into a class containing UITextFields.

I have changed the UITextFields into UITextViews and the crashes have stopped.

This is a big problem as it means a lot of changes thoughout the App, and textFields are much better for validation etc.

I am very worried about why my App seems to be effectively broken by the ipdate from iOS 11.2.2 to 11.2.5, and would be very grateful for any help.

Replies

have you some code to post where the crash occurs ?

Unfortunately, the universe is not fair, and it's possible that your app was broken since but 2015, but you were unlucky that the problem never showed up before. It's not entirely unusual that a new OS version will expose a lurking memory management bug (or in this case a potential bug in the Swift-1.2-compiled code).

Have you tried an experimental conversion of the code to Swift 4 syntax, so that you can build it with a more recent Xcode version? It's hard to predict whether that would go smoothly or be a nightmare, but it might be worth spending a few hours on.

Thanks - I do have a Version 2 which I am getting ready for release, but it's going to be a few weeks before I can do this.

It is written in Swift 4 with XCode 9.2, and runs perfectly in 11.2.5. I think the lurking bug idea is a possibility, as I haven't heard of any similar problems with other apps !

Hi, I have the same problem.

I filled bug number #37500629

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sorry you are having the same problem, but glad that I am not the only one.

I submitted a new build of my App today with the UITextFields changed to UITextViews, and am anxiously waiting for feedback from my users.

My App was rendered unusable by this bug - I would not have expected this with such a small point update of iOS.

I hope you manage to get your App fixed soon !

I was hoping to look at your bug report, matti157, but apparently this is not possible.

I've now submitted a bug report too, #37537978

Any news?

Any news?

This came up in another thread and I’ve posted my analysis there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

We are having a similar situation. We have a simple UIViewController with three

UITextField
s (username, password and password confirmation).

Whenever we set up the username textfield to be unsecure and two password textfields to be secure, the app crashes on iOS simulator when the user touches the username textfield. That textfield has no delegate, no outlet set.