Getting thread name from app store crash logs

Hi friends,

We are having strange crash which we are not able to replicate and not able to get root of the issue in our debugging.

We are not able to get any clue from our debugging about this crashes in development. For better understanding about this crash , we have added the following line in all the NSOperation

[[NSThread currentThread] setName:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"Operation %d",operationID]];

Also

we have added name for NSOperationQueue.

but it is not displaying thread name in appstore crash logs. Do you know why thread name is not displaying in crash logs with the above code?

We are simulating the crash in adhoc build and able to see thread and queue information in our development device.

We would like to know the thread name to narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

Sakthivel

Replies

Are you implementing a standard operation or an asynchronous operation?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

We have custom NSOperation class which will make network call in asynchronous way. We are handling it by overriding the below methods

-(BOOL) isExecuting{

return _isExecuting;

}

-(BOOL) isFinished{

return _isFinished;

}

We have custom NSOperation class which will make network call in asynchronous way.

OK. There’s a couple of possibilities here but before I get into that I want to come back to something you wrote earlier:

We are simulating the crash in adhoc build and able to see thread and queue information in our development device.

Does that mean you’re seeing different info in the crash report between Ad Hoc and Distribution builds? What about a TestFlight build?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

We are not getting thread details at all in distribution builds (test flight builds and app store builds). Thread details row is empty.

Attached image from app store crash log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vyLt9CtpaGgkgaQ-1SK8P-SXQCE8l1Fq

Attached image from adhoc build crash log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MNL7ZNTiwU7YaEFTDce3Z4ehcc2Hv3mr

We are not getting thread details at all in distribution builds (test flight builds and app store builds).

Yeah, I was afraid that’d be the case. The iOS crash reporter redacts a bunch of info when running a released app (I presume that this, like a lot of other stuff, is determined by the absence of the

get-task-allow
entitlement, but I’ve not confirmed that). I previously knew of one specific example of this (see this thread) but your analysis confirms that there are others )-:

I’ve filed a bug (r. 37491363) to request that we add this tidbit to TN2151.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”