Successfully updated Firmware for HTC Vive base station?

Im trying to get Vive base station firmware update to work. Is there any trick here? I've no business on a developer forum, but Apple support sent me to Vive support to get this done and Vive support has sent me here. When I follow Vive firmware update instructions: base station connected to system via usb, Channel switch on back of base station depressed, the insert power cable step results in no action other than a "firmware.bin" file appearing on my desktop in a file who's icon looks like a hard drive. its name "CRP DISABLD".

If I could broaden the question: I just want to edit 360 video in final cut 10.4. Despite the marketing that makes this look easy effortless and enjoyable, is anyone actually doing it?

Replies

SteamVR on Mac currently does not have the functionality to update firmware of either headset, base station or controller. (or if it does, it's been broken all this time).

There's many things missing from SteamVR on Mac that should be unacceptable considering it was announced over 8 months ago. I still can't even enter the "manual height centimeters" when doing the room setup.

Meanwhile Apple is pushing their "VR supported" marketing hard for the iMac Pro but the actual experience is pretty ******.

Any word on this situation getting better?

vive pro here with a 2019 mac Pro.

the controllers firmware updated after numerous tries. Nothing else did.

having really unacceptable problems with the head unit, but I cannot even perform the first step in troubleshooting: updating the firmware.

I bought a vive cosmos, it was not even detected by my MacBook. So I try it on chrome os with Linux, because I own one and it has more ram so I thought maybe its that. Doesnt work. I go to my dad and try on actual windows. Headset detected, but then, appears as a keyboard. I contacted vive. And they told me it’s because I used a minidisplay port, with a converter cause honestly I’ve never seen the connector they gave on any of. Then it was my PCs specs, which aren’t the best but ****, What have these developers been doing? Cosmos is out for a long time. My iPhone X can run incredible VR environments with AR capability on 2k res, no problems. Yet this “state of the art VR headset” isn’t even able to connect properly with to basically anything less than a 2000€ gaming pc with windows? Ridiculous, I was looking forward to VR a lot, there’s so much possibility but I’ll never buy from vive again, by this time it’s just lazy and lousy practice. So dissapointed.