Remote control of HomeKit devices without a hub

Is it possible?

I'm confused. This document implies it is not possible:

"To control your HomeKit accessories remotely, you need an Apple TV 4K, Apple TV (4th generation), Apple TV (3rd generation),*or iPad."

But when iOS 9 was released, multiple news articles said something like this quote from MacRumors:

"With iOS 9, Remote Access is improving. It will no longer be necessary to have an Apple TV to access HomeKit devices when away from home because Apple has a new iCloud service that device makers can use for their HomeKit accessories. Before iOS 9, accessing HomeKit devices remotely required them to connect to an Apple TV or it required accessory makers to implement their own cloud services."

I gave some iDevices smart outlet switches to family for xmas, and one Ecobee 4 thermostat. These can be controlled from outside their home networks using the supplied apps. But as I understand it, my app cannot use HomeKit to control these devices unless they add AppleTV hubs to their homes.

What's going on here? Is it as simple as HomeKit Access Protocol being implemented in some devices but not other? The iDevices website shows a "No Hub Required" logo for its switch. I assume this means it implements HAP. Should my app thus be able to remotely control this switch without requiring users to have a hub?

Replies

>as I understand it, my app cannot use HomeKit to control these devices unless they add AppleTV hubs to their homes.

And/or iPad.

Are you saying they are up and running on other Apple devices, w/HK configuration, without either?